Is there supposed to be power to the starter solenoid at all times?

1,315

Asked by May 30, 2014 at 10:22 PM about the 1991 Oldsmobile Ninety-Eight 4 Dr Regency Elite Sedan

I got a 1991 Oldsmobille 98 regency elite with the 3.8l w/no supercharger. My question is
this. It randomly doesn't start but we checked the wires with a wirelight tester and I have
power to the starter solenoid at all times even when the key is off. Is that the way it is
supposed to be or is something fucked up? Any advice on this would be great, thanks!

100,445

Yes the large terminal is a direct connection to the battery. I take it that it won't crank but when it does it starts and runs normally, it could be a number of things that can cause this ie ignition switch, neutral switch, starter solenoid, starter, broken or bad wiring and or connectors. There are a lot of things to test, if you feel confident in going further I would recommend that you buy a service manual that has an electrical diagrams section.

395

your in the right area just on wrong wire it's the small wire on the solenoid next to the one you got power all the time that wire is only on when you cranck,make sure it's not loose were it crimps to the terminal,and were it bolts to the solenoid,put your test light there and have someone cranck the engine the light should come on if so it's bad solenoid.