At what mileage does a 2002 Jaguar X type 2.5 transmission typically need replacement?

10

Asked by Mar 17, 2014 at 10:28 AM about the 2002 Jaguar X-TYPE 2.5

I am considering a purchase of a 2002 Jaguar X type 2.5 with 95k miles...wondering if I
will need a new transmission at 100k or when on the average?

26,075

I have seen a lot of these "newer" Jags with tranny troubles- good luck with that

300,235

There is no average. If the fluid was changed on a regular basis, the trans might last longer, but I agree with Jamn, there are troubles, and not only with the trans, but the cars themselves. Seems to be a lot of individuals having issues with used Jags in general. I'd find another vehicle.

10

Beauty can be alluring, so thank you guys for the reality check...I will move on to another car.

I bought my 2003 X Type with 49k miles on it for $500. It was available at that price because the reverse was not working and it would have cost more to have a shop fix it than the car was worth, $5-10k. Ordinarily the car would have been recycled. I bought it because I could fix it myself on the farm, which I did. The broken part, the reduction and reverse band cost me $54 on eBay. It required disconnecting the entire engine (with tranny), jacking the body up away from it and then disconnecting the tranny from the engine so it could be wiggled out. The tranny probably weighs 200 or so. Then I was able to open the back side (next to the engine) of the tranny in the garage to get the reduction band out. I was surprised to find that most of the serial numbers printed on surfaces of clutch plates had not worn off. The thing that saved this tranny from self destruction was that the broken part sat in place and did not circulate through the gears. Along the way I also replaced other parts in the suspension that eventually wear out , while I was in the frame of mind. All together I spent $2k for this car with 49k miles on it. Now, 20 months later, it has 85k miles on it. It is not a job for beginners and I cannot say that I fixed the problem that broke the part in the first place.

10

I bought a really nice Cadillac Deville about 8 years ago and it showed a transmission speed senser fault I drove it probably about 5 or 6 thousand miles and then had the speed senser replaced it was driving perfectly up till then after that I constantly had problems with the transmission, I had internal valves changed and ended up having a rebuilt transmission put in. It seems to me even though transverse manual boxes seem to be okay in BMC minis etc., the transverse automatic transmissions in expensive cars arent worth a flip

How many miles can u get the life of the motor on a 2002 x type Jag 2.5 litter I have 130.000 still runing