1991 Lumina wire unplugged.

5

Asked by Apr 11, 2015 at 10:16 AM about the 1991 Chevrolet Lumina 2 Dr Euro Coupe

Okay, I have a 1991 Chevy Lumina and I believe this wire is the root of my problems. I
wasn't the one who unplugged it but it seems it was unplugged as an easy way to get
around a problem. When unplugged the car runs but the performance is off, It doesn't
feel like it has the same power as it does when it's plugged in and it also sounds
different when in idle. When the wire is plugged in the car stalls while driving at random
intervals between 1 and 10 minutes and needs to be jumped to start it back up. I will
attach pictures of the wire and it's location within the surrounding area.

33,515

The male portion of the plug on the block, does it have a nut at the base where it can be removed? Can't really see by the pic. Or does it plug into another wire harness?

33,515

If it's in line with the coolant hose, it's probably your ECT sensor. (Engine Coolant Temp) sensor. That would make sense of why your car doesn't run well. The sensor affects how much fuel is added depending upon the engine being hot or cold.

5

Here is a better picture, It doesn't seem to have a nut or anything, It's fixed onto that metal rail.

5

I am thinking it's to an injector off of the injector rail.

33,515

There's a metal retainer clip that holds the metal cylinder to the plastic plug. It looks like if you get a small screw driver, you can lift up on either end and remove it from the plug. Is there a pipe on the backside of the metal cylinder? It looks like something is screwed into the back of it from the pic. If so, where does that pipe go?

33,515

Yes, I think you've hit it. Looks like you have a bad injector.

56,705

Is your check engine or service engine soon light on? OBD I won't set a misfire code if it's a fuel injector but it will set a trouble code if a sensor is unplugged. HTH. -Jim

5

just bought a new injector $70 now just gotta have some one put it in. is it hard to do ur self if u have never done it before?

33,515

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEIP9ZYnnRc

5

With the what I have you have to take the plenum off and it seems like a bunch of other stuff would have to come off as well with the plenum. Have you had experience in changing the injectors on a lumina?

5

Also, Thanks for your helpfulness. I would pay for someone to just do it for me but in the future it would be nice to know how to do it so every time I have to replace them I don't have to drop 100's of dollars on labor.

33,515

No, I have never worked on a Lumina. I have mostly owned Toyotas. For $30 you can always pick up a Haynes manual. Shouldn't be too involved. But as you know, some vehicles are worse than others.

Best Answer
5

Thanks for all the help. Just replaced it, The stalling out stopped the idle is no longer rough. The process went pretty smoothly only problem was my hand slipped pulling something out and I hit a plastic hose and snapped it but that was fixed through trial and error.

33,515

Good to hear! Did you just tear into it, or did you pick up a manual?

5

Just tore into it, Really all it was was remembering what went where.

33,515

Cool! All for under a $100! Gotta love it!