91 caprice block

Asked by Oct 02, 2011 at 11:37 PM about the 1991 Chevrolet Caprice Classic Sedan RWD

I just bought a short block from a 91 caprice police car. I had a few questions. What is the factory horsepower rating? the most consistent info I've found is 200hp/300 foot lbs of torque. is there anything of significant difference about the block itself other than it is equipped with a roller cam and oil cooler? I plan to rebuild the block and find a set of tbi heads for it to replace the old motor in my 89 chevy truck. any info would be great! thanks guys!

I JUST. DID MY TBI LAST SUMMER I PUT A ZZ4 CAM IN IT AND I HAD HEADS OF A 95 TAHOE, WHICH ARE NOT VORTECHS ,IT RAN PRETTY GOOD! THE ROLLER CAM IS THE ONLY GOOD THING ABOUT THOSE MOTORS, I'M SELLING THIS ONE AND PUTTING A 327 IN MY CAPRICE OUT OF A 69 CAMARO SS! IF YOU WANT GOOD POWER OUT OF A TBI GET A BIGGER CAM AND A SET OF VORTECH HEADS!

395

Your car has a build sheet ,probably glued in the trunk,look up the motor letters and compare with your car,also I would not go too wild on the camshaft duration,as tbi relies on manifold vacuum as one of its parameters,wild cams don't offer much vacuum at idle,use a carb or air flow meter setup for hot cams.

My concern is the heads and intake ports matching the openi vs on the zz4 block