What can I do to increase the power of my 1991 camaro rs 5.0L TBI?

55

Asked by Dec 25, 2011 at 03:21 PM about the 1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS

My 1991 camaro rs 5.0L TBI only puts out 170hp what can I do to increase the power without changing motors.

395

Head work, larger camshaft, high flow exhaust. Just a few of the simple things.

135

Air flow is horsepower. A BBK throttle body would help and put headers on it also. With exhaust thats bigger than 1 3/4 inch like 2 to 2 1/2 and an h pipe helps also.

Best Answer
975

try a K/N air filter

525

Like everyone said the normal bolt ons cam head work headers throttle body spacer exhaust. also a set of gears will make a difference on the performance.

55

I bought headers,stage 2 computer chip,and a 650cfm throttle body to replace the stock 450cfm throttle body.The original HP was 170.What do you think it will be now.I took the car out on the highway and put it to wide open throttle until the limiter shut me down at about 120mph thats with all the stock parts and it was still running strong when I got shut down.What do you think my top end speed will be once I put in all the new parts?

135

Well the chip will elliminate the limiter. And with the throttle body also you might take it to 200- 210. A 5.0 is not as good as a 350. But later if new heads is in your funding that would help to or get what you got ported out. Because air flow is horse power. And if the heads are not flowing either you will be fighting it down the road. At least you have got a start on it. The the faster you want to go the more money it costs. I know. I started out with a 16sec car and now in the 10's. But do a step at a time that way you know what has gained you the most.

2,955

think of the engine as an air pump i would take out the cat. and put a duel or 3 in single with flowmaster or borla or magnaflow muffler i would put aftermarket 202 heads with 64 cc chambers with ported and polished runners to increase airflow that will be a start the bottom line is u cant just do one thing to it and expect it to perform it will but not to its true potential because something else is resticting it hope this helps with tuning

475

the cheap and simple way to increase the bhp of car is just worked out on your exhaust system and the engine oil should be replaced by a lower grade as lower the grade higher will be the bhp

135

put header put duel high air flow Exhaust BBK throttle body as well put a supercharger on it put some pulstar spark plugs so better fuel burning as well as a K&N system with cold air if u want alittle more HP or hot air if u still want some mpg out of it

205

put a 350 in it

135

ya that maybe but then u have to change the engine wire harness to the 350 the 305 for that year has a different sensors

525

You do not have to change the harness or ecu if you swap a 350 TBI into the car. You would have to for the 350 TPI

5

supercharge it :P take the catylic converter out replace it witha straight pipe then delimit the car 350+hp

135

no u need the cats to pass emission but u can buy better cats so it flows better

525

not everywhere requires emissions testing

135

most states do and sense the car is a 91 it needs a smog test and without cats they wont pass it

525

I live in GA only 13 counties have too and if the car is over 25 years old it is exempt.

135

no if the car a 65 and under then u dont but if it a 66 and above then u do i know this stuff AZ,PA,NY,CA,IL,VA,WV and more that there rules so just keep ur mouth shut sense u dont know jack

525

dude I said in georgia. i didnt say for other states. i use to be an inspector here. every state has its own laws. just like on 96 and up you can delete the emissions programming and pass. here we just hook to the obdII and it checks for codes if none you pass. 95 and older gets the sniffer test but is only required in the 13 metro counties. so yes i do know for my state. I dont know for others because i dont live there and dont have to go by them.

525

so before you snap on someone read what they said and learn their laws. also we do a visual cat look but most just run a pipe through the cat so it looks like it is there. also if you tune the car right and maintain it the car will pass without the emissions crap. that is for people who do not maintain their vehicles.

135

oh bother whatever dude u have no clue what ur talking about

525

LOL sorry to the op for the last few comments between me and Mr i know every states law. Just read up on your local laws because every state is different.

525

here is Georgia's link http://www.cleanairforce.com/motorists/emissiontesting.php

35

I live in Texas, drive a 77 Camaro, and NO WE DO NOT have to pass ANY sort of emissions test in the COUNTY I live in. 70 miles east, in Houston, you must pass a rigorous emissions test. Different counties...different requirements here in TX. I

140

Put Nitrus on it , you'll Fly ......

20

in smaller towns in Tennessee there are no emissions testing. Just write down the plate number, walk in and pay, get your tags and leave. The police have no way of knowing what older cars need converters, nor do they care.

20

Instead of a chip, I rewired my fuel pump ( some will say this is not good ) so when I start it the pump stays running. No more limiting. Also, with the engine off, you can advance the timing, this will give more power but you also may start pinging, so you'll need to upgrade your fuel. I live in a place where I could take off the cat. That gave me more power, I also put on a shorter belt as I removed the smog pump. This gave me more power. I am running a medium flowmaster with no tips. Sounds sweet. and runs great.

ok guys besides all the good advice, i got a great laugh outta . steve an chris going back an forth. i live in california. an we just cut the cats out . an put them back in for smog, as far as . my 89 5.0 camaro. i just bought a intake with a 600 cfm, ebrock . carb. i don't have much more cash right now. but it seems to do . exhaust next., Right ?