What is the Security light for?

Asked by Jan 14, 2011 at 12:32 PM about the 1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS

145

is for the alarm system if the alarm system is not turn off before getting into the car then the car wont start if the car didnt came with an alarm then u got nothing to worry about if is on and the car doesnt start and u can undo it with the remove then the alarm is malfuntioning and will have to get it checked out basically when the car is being stole the security light will come on the alarm will start going and the car will not start untill the alarm has been desable by the remote or completely taken out of the car

85

Its VATS(Vehicle Anti-Theft System). It works by sensing resistance in the 'chip' in your key. The 'chip' is really a resistor pellot. The VATS module controls the starter enable relay and the fuel disable parameter in the ECM. If the wrong resistance is detected, then the VATS module will NOT let the ECM power the fuel pump. It also will NOT let the starter turn. You should get it checked out or bypassed. it SHOULD NOT be on.