no start battery good clicking sound on firewall

45

Asked by Aug 13, 2013 at 07:47 PM about the 1991 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Silverado Extended Cab SB

this happened with no warning. trying to start acted like a low battery, the buzzer for the door being open is very faint the battery is good the connections are good on it as well. seems to be very little juice at the ingnition switch. left the key in the on position when i went for battery tester came back and there was a clicking sound on the firewall near where the steering colume goes thru. where to start hunting for bad connections or i don't know any suggestions

60,875

Switch on your headlights. Are they nice and bright? Keep them on & try starting the engine. Do the headlights get very dim or go out? If so, check the connections and wiring at the starter. If the headlights stay nice and bright but the engine won't crank, replace the starter. HTH. - Jim

6,715

Sounds like you need a starter solenoid, a new battery possibly as well.

get a NEW battery and chase the end of the 1/0 black cable with a coarse wirebrush to insure 300 cold cranking amps potential there~ everything will be okay with renewed FRESH ground~

five years old is a grandpa with the modern tin/antimony batteries...will stop accepting a charge ten percent per year....date of the first charge is noted on "knock off" labels on the top of the battery...1991 car....should have been through three batteries by now~

45

I need to stress test the battery. How about if I put a ten amp load on it and see how the voltage holds u;p?

60,875

Did you do the headlight test? What was the result? - Jim

45

Yes the headlights do not light, however the battey shows 12.7 volts with all cells showing good specific gravity, I put it on a charger which said that it was at 85 percent. Then charged it to 100. I will next check voltage between pos terminal and chassy. Thanks

....just clicking means starved of amperage...12.7 Volts may be present, but if it isn't pulling the 300 amps thru that will not help our cause...a "load test" of your battery may prove it to be okay, but the amperage ain't getting through to the startermotor....check integrity of the 1/0 cables~

60,875

Correct Judge and with those dim headlights either the battery is dead or there's a bad connection with the cables. HTH. -Jim

Best Answer

how's your wirebrush doin'? sharp enough for the job at hand? go and steal your neighbors barbeque cleaning brush for a while to do the job~....oooo may not be scratchy enough....scratch that~

45

Thanks all, I think there is a bad connection to the ignition dashboard area cause everything looks good on the high amp circuit and the batt and starter are only a year old. So thats where I'm working now.

a hearty clamp connector (like with the welder) connecting dash to the negative ground (while already there....may have suffered from rust) to the ground may make it act normally~

was this in a drowned state at one point in time?

Did you ever find the problem? I'm dealing with this same situation.

'93 Beretta, battery charge seems good -- full lights, radio,heater functions, door buzzer full volume, no 'grinding DOWN' sound when trying to start. Found radiator water low; would that matter? Additional: after turning key back 'off' heard low-loudness mechanical noise for few seconds, like small motor still running.

60,875

MOmzr1d3, start a new thread so everyone can see it. -Jim