0 oil pressure

50

Asked by May 14, 2017 at 05:27 AM about the 1998 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Silverado Extended Cab RWD

I bought a 1998 chevy stepside with a 5.7 vortec
engine on the 28th of april,a few days ago while
driving home from work,when I tried to give it gas,it
wasent accelerating,found out my engine cut its
self off,now it has 0 oil pressure,it cranks but won't
start,only tried it a few times,because I don't want
to damage my engine,car has 251,000 miles on
it.one thing I did notice,is that my fuel pump
doesent cut on when I turn the key in the
ignition,but when the key returns to neutral,it cuts
on,0 oil pressure with the key turned in the
ignition,but oil pressure goes up when key is
returned to the neutral pisition

50

Car will not start,it only cranks,but before this happened,my car used to start right up with no hesitation like it was a brand new car fresh off the dealership

81,305

When the engine stops the oil pressure will drop to zero, that's normal. Sounds like a problem with the fuel pump. Try spraying some starting fluid down the throttle body. It should run a few seconds on that. If so, it's definitely a fuel problem. HTH. - Jim

50

Thanks,will go to autozone and get some,thanks again,I really appreciate the suggestion!

50

Before I saw your message about the throttle body spray,I was in my driveway cranking the car trying to get it to start,now it won't even turn the engine over,nothing happened when I turn the key in the ignition

81,305

You're welcome. Glad to help. Probably what's happened now is the battery is dead from the cranking. You'll need to charge it back up. HTH. -Jim

50

I did that,and it still wouldn't crank with or without the cables after a nice charge,so I let it sit for some hours and tried it again,now it's turning over everytime,now I will head down to autozone and get the throttle body spray

81,305

Ok, sounds good. Keep us posted. -Jim

50

The starting fluid didn't get it started,rented a fuel pressure gauge, and it was around 65 psi,then I was checking for spark in my wires,seen a baby spark in the coil wire,and,so I wanted to double check, (maybe spark was too weak),cause none of my other wires had a spark,so I rigged a lil contraption up,so that i could crank the car and check for spark,gator wire clip from the coil wire,and a ruber handle crowbar,and I had on gloves,that seemed to have a rubber coating,MAN IT HAD TOO MUCH SPARK,SHOCKED THE SHIT OUT OF ME!!!,,so that ruled out a bad coil/wire,I guess it transferred the info from the ECM into my brain,because distributor popped in my head,went to auto zone and bought one,and some other stuff for a tune up,put it in and it FIRED RIGHT UP!!![12am] thanks for steering me away from a oil pressure problem,because that is what lead me to fixing my car

81,305

You're welcome. Glad to help. Thanks for letting us know you're back on the road! Very glad to hear that!! -Jim

10

Fixed that problem now another problem arises.....car won't go pass 3,000 rpms,maybe I put the distributor in wrong,but it strives fine,no hesitation,or loss of power,even at 80 mph,rpms just won't go any high,just put a brand new fuel filter in it,and same problem