i have a 92 lumina with 3.1. i went to start it today and nothing, not even a click. i tried 2 more times and still nothing. i put the shifter in neutral then back into park and it rolled over fine bu

20

Asked by Apr 16, 2013 at 11:52 PM about the 1992 Chevrolet Lumina 4 Dr Euro Sedan

i have a 92 lumina with 3.1. i went to start it today and nothing, not even a click. i tried 2 more times
and still nothing. i put the shifter in neutral then back into park and it rolled over fine but will not start.
i thought it may be outta gas so i dumped 4 gallons in it and still not starting. i have only had this car
for a couple days. it runs great when driving but idles rough especialy at a stop light. any ideas on
whats going on?

I'd start by testing the coil packs. resistance, continuity, comparative. anything seem out of the ordinary, wonky resistance, carbon traces...replace the defective packs....check voltage to the packs first, to see if there's an ignition fuse/relay~

I've seen defective packs, and defective transmission lock-up on a few of these early cavaliers~

20

i forgot to mention that it did this one other time. but as soon as i put the gearshift in park again it fired right up. also the fuel pump is usually easily heard. i hear dont hear it at all when i turn the switch. it left me seeting at work and i caught a ride home. i`ll start checking things 2m.

1,305

Check the linkage and connections at and going to your neutral safety switch. Your car is old...... plastic, rubber, etc..... gets rotten and/or gunked up...... clean Everything good. It's much easier to troubleshoot your issues, when things are clean, and connections, components, linkages, etc..... are visible and easier to Inspect..... also, as you are cleaning things up..... at the same time you'll be inspecting and getting to know your engine better..... Don't worry right now about pulling out your digital multimeter and checking electronic specs..... do the obvious and easiest first...... prepare and plan..... before you get all tech like..... and get a Haynes manual..... you're going to need it eventually..... again, your car is Old (I have a '90, trust me, things are going to be falling apart)..... If you "Shift" things around and things begin to happen, like your car starting..... your neutral safety switch is a good place to start...... your fuel pump will not operate if the engine is not running, and there is No oil pressure. Your fuel pump will not operate if the Switch (oil pressure sensor) is bad, or if the connections at it, or going to it are bad. The Oil pressure sensor has two functions..... of course it detects oil pressure, but also, it turns on the fuel pump..... only when there is oil pressure..... it's a dual function device..... if you see one and compare it to a "normal" oil pressure sensor... it's very large/long and generally needs a special tool/socket to remove it easily...... there are other easier things to check before you start ripping apart your coil packs and so forth...... I like Gumout Carb Cleaner, for me, it's safer to use than others..... Good Luck!

20

it turns out that the plug that comes from the wires to the fuel pump is a little broken and it shakes loose. i still have the hitting the switch and getting nothing not even a click problem

thanks mac, you've brightened my day!