what was the horsepower rating for the 92 chevy caprice wagon 5.7 v8 with factory tow package

5

Asked by Apr 08, 2010 at 01:18 PM about the 1992 Chevrolet Caprice Base Wagon

I HAVE A 92 CHEVY CAPRICE WAGON THAT CAME WITH THE FACTORY TOW PACKAGE WHICH INCLUDED THE 700R4 TRANNY AND POSI REAR END LOOKING FOR SOME SPECS ON THIS VEHICLE LOOKING TO ADD MORE HORSES BUT I WANT TO KNOW WHERE I AM ALREADY

95

Hey. :) What engine does your wagon have? I'm not sure if all tow package wagons had 350's (actually, I don't think they did) but if you have an L05 350 like my wagon does -- 200hp and 300 tq. You can free up a LOT of power in this engine really easily. First thing I would do is get an RAISS cold air intake (or make one yourself! not that hard), and a nice fat throttle body spacer. Combined, those should be good for ~20-25 horsepower, and for a really good price. If you want to take it further, you can junk your heads. Go with a set of heads from a Vortec 350 (you'll also need the intake manifold from one). That'll give you about 40hp/tq. That would put you neck-and-neck with the LT1 wagons at about 260hp, and a bit ahead in the torque department at around 350+. Happy wagon driving. :)

75

the tbi had about 220 hp,i got a 96 ex-cop 350 lti my self...good cars

95

Yeah, it's rated at 200hp and 300tq according to my factory service manual. A lot of people who ride with me try to tell me it has more, but I keep trying to explain to them that it's the torque, lol.

75

i had a loot of chevy small block the one i liked the most is the 350 lt1 4 barrels in my 84 impalla coupe,it came from a cop car,all i did is put a bigger carburator ontop ofan eldelbrook performer rpm intake ,a set of headers and a crane cam,lifter kit,result 410hp on dyno after putting the 650 cfm carb i gained 18 hp weird so it had the power ut yet no so bad on gaz,cool to talk to andother caprice owner see ya

95

That's pretty awesome. This summer for my wagon I'm looking at a set of Vortec heads and the Performer intake too. Small block power is so stupidly easy to come across... but God is it awesome. :D

my book doesn't go that new buddy but my 88 w/ the five seven is 180 according to the book, and thats still carburated. a safe estimate would be 175 to 200 bhp

what year Votec heads would work? or how about a throttle body spacer and a 650 cfm trottle body? would i have to re program the computer for that to work? i dont know much about TBI systems im just trying to get as much power out of my 93 wagon as possible. thanx

what year of vortec heads would work? could i also upgrade to a 650 cfm throttlrbody and spacer? will i have to re program the computer with that package?

95

I'm not sure what years would work, but here's a link to the B-Body wagon forum I'm on. Many of the guys there are FAR more knowledgeable than I: http://gmlongroof.4umer.com/forum.htm Good luck. :)

5

Thanks to all of my fello chevy enthusiast I'm in the process now of getting my wagon all the way done my sounds system is almost done and I definately have a winner now have pioneer bt head unit 2 pioneer 6.5 in door 4\6 was to small in the door 6 Motorola tweets they don't blow out and are cheep 6 pioneer 4 way 6/9 2 kicker cvx 15" subs have a old punch 325.2 on 4 of the 6/9 all other interiors all on head unit an on the subs are on a 3200 w auto trek clarion x-over to set the tone 10" rear view monitor full time rear view video I'm not done yet I'm gonna amplify the whole interior system with 2 800w massive nano nx4 and I'm gonna add 2 more cvx 15s and run the bass off of two massive nano n4 will have 9600 w in a wagon right now I am getting 110 db on words 126 db on bass can't wait to finish this car

5

Also found out the the wagon with the tow package in 1992 had 260 hp 315 tq I opened it up with no cats new higher amp alternator and better radiator almost at 300 hp at rear wheels doing open air intake next again thanks