Vats system

40

Asked by Nov 11, 2016 at 09:03 AM about the 1992 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 Coupe RWD

My 1992 Chevy Camaro security light is on it doesn't blink
just stays steady the won't start I've changed the ignition
and got the core key and still nothing I'm out of ideas will
someone plz help

78,125

Did you get the correct VATS key? There were 15 possibilities. The template key that came with the new lock cylinder will not start the car. It's just to be used to cut the correct VATS key. HTH. -Jim

40

Yes I took the key to the dealership it's a 14 key I've tried the bypass the security light went off for about 2 seconds and came right back on.

78,125

Ok, that's good you have the correct key. There's an anti-theft relay buried deep in the dash. It may be bad. The ideal way to attack this problem is with the factory shop manual. I'm at work now but when I get home I'll look at my '94 Fleetwood Shop Manual. It has the VATS system as well. I'm sure it's similar to yours. HTH. -Jim

40

Ok thanks

78,125

You'll need to find the anti-theft relay under the dash and check that one of the terminals has battery voltage with the ignition in the start position. If one of the terminals is number 30 on the relay that should be it. If you have battery voltage there, replace the relay. If not, check for battery voltage at the "S" terminal on the starter. If you have battery voltage at the "S" terminal with the ignition in the start position, replace the starter. If you do not have battery voltage at the "S" terminal with the ignition in the start position it's a VATS failure. If that doesn't solve the problem it's going to be elsewhere in the system. Unfortunately, it'll require repair at the dealer at that point. The Central Control module, if equipped, and the Body Control Module will both need to be diagnosed with special scan tools. Let's hope it's just the relay or the starter! HTH. -Jim

40

Is it a regular relay the starter ifs one I notice that the ignition fuse is missing could the be the problem

40

The starter is good

78,125

Yes, it'll be a regular relay buried deep in the dash. It's put there on purpose as an additional theft deterrent. HTH. -Jim