I am looking for a taligate acutuator.

Asked by Apr 23, 2008 at 03:14 PM about the 1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS Coupe RWD

My hatchback will not close all the way.  The sitch or the motor on the trucnck lid will not completely recess and I can't find a replacement.  A manual only replacement would suffice if it would work.  Any idease where to locate new or used or a substitute?

Try www.car-part.com, these items are a common failure point.

Thanks. I tried but there were no parts listed. I grabbed a couple of salvage dealers and might try to call. Frustrating f to locate. Do you know if a manual replacement would work? I don't car much about the morotized lid latch.

I looked at a manual version, used on the newer models, but thats way too much work to fab up and way different. Theres this nylon gear inside of the pull down motor drive. Pull yours apart, and you will see the teeth have been ground off, and stripped. Go to a junkyard, and find one or several, take the motor loose from the hatch, then pull the drive apart, its very easy a 5 minute job, I took several apart, and have 5 extra gears just incase, because my buddy slammed my iroc-z hatch down once, only once! And trashed the gear, my firebirds was replaced when I bought it, so no worries, but replace the gear and you'll be fine, just don't ever smash it down, and don't ever let someone else do it for you, and no, you don't need to replace the struts, they don't have anything to do with the weight of the hatch when its closed, unlike what some people say. But replace it, and its easy, just put the gear in your pocket, and its a free fix besides your time used to do it! I am practically a GURU of F-bodies, I've worked on over 50 3rd and 4th gens, I have a car club too at www.v8havoc.com I was the 3rd member in the club, I'm cronsformula. If you ever have questions shoot me a message and I'll help you out.