I have a 1998 supercharged Buick Riviera. It won't start. It's sounds like it's about to start and then it's like the spark shuts off. There are no trouble codes or warning lights. There is gas in the tank. I was told that it might have something to do with the factory alarm. Does anyone have any ideas?

Asked by Aug 10, 2014 at 03:48 PM about the 1998 Buick Riviera Supercharged Coupe

I have a 1998 supercharged Buick Riviera. It won't start. It's sounds like it's about to
start and then it's like the spark shuts off. There are no trouble codes or warning lights.
There is gas in the tank. I was told that it might have something to do with the factory
alarm. Does anyone have any ideas? This was my father in laws car. He bought it
brand new and it hasn't been messed with. It was running great. My wife said she
started it put it in reverse and she said it sounded weird she turned it off and it hasn't
started since. She it sounded like a howling knock????

1,195

I suggest a couple of probabilities. First if the sound came from within the vehicle I would replace the ignition switch. If this part is defective the engine will turn over but it shorts out other functions. Now sometimes after awhile the vehicle will start. The other suggestion is the crank sensor.

65,935

A "howling knock" may be a failed supercharger. The supercharger pulls in and compresses the air going to the engine. If it is not working it may prevent the engine from starting. HTH. -Jim

1,195

michaels1926 If possible please give us some feedback. Did you determine the problem(s)?