1998 Buick Park Avenue Ultra --- Hard Shifting (at times)

170

Asked by Mar 01, 2014 at 03:58 PM about the 1998 Buick Park Avenue 4 Dr Ultra Supercharged Sedan

We have a 1998 Buick Park Avenue Ultra.  Periodically (as in not all the time) the car
shifts hard in first or second.  Usually it does not happen.  It is not an everyday thing or
even an every week thing.  There is no check engine light.  When it does happen we
turn off the car and it seems to reset itself and not do it for awhile.  There does not
seem to be a regular pattern of when it happens but it seems that for some reason the
internal pressure (or something) gets out of whack and it starts doing it again.

100,475

Sounds like a solenoid problem, a common problem with GM FWD cars, usually requires the solenoids to be replaced.

170

Would it normally throw a code? How involved is the repair?

100,475

No. It is somewhat evolved, as you have to remove the side cover on the trans. I would not recommend doing it your self.

170

Thanks. Any idea on the cost of the part or the labor?

100,475

it has been several years but I had my Park Avenue done and it was right at 300 bucks back then, probably more now.

170

Thanks again.

1,115

I have a 97 park ave and i was only driving 5 minutes a day withno issue. If i had todrive longerthan thati would shift hard as you are describing. If you have auto zone or some place simular read the codes you most likely find this as I did. Not sure of the cost of the repair. http://peoplestransmission.blogspot .com/2010/11/p1811-maximum- afdapt-and-long-shift.html?m=1

170

Did you get a solution to your problem? Did you have a P1811 code? (I will check on the codes but the check engine light is not on.)

705

I have a 2004 Park Avenue Ultra with about 130,000 miles. I took it to a transmission shop with a hard shift. It had, I believe, a P1810 or P1811. They said code only sets when the transmission needs to run max line pressure to make sure the trans still shifts. The reason that it is running at full line pressure is because the clutch packs are worn and are slipping. I needed a full rebuild. I had a 97 Ultra and it also needed a trans at about 125,000 miles. Transmission codes are usually not readable by AutoZone. $1500 later it shifts like a new car.

1,115

I didn't get it fixed, I did get a rebuild quote off $1200 and it doesn't throw a engine light. I had an older old code reader that didnt register the code but the newer ones do.

30

This happened to me - start it up again, disappeared then began jerking again (only on up shifts, not down). Mechanic RESET the computer - problem gone never to return! Do NOT get suckered into a transmission repair scam right off the bat - suggest the reset!