98 Park Ave Ultra Interior Switches electrical problem

110

Asked by Oct 17, 2010 at 02:05 PM about the 1998 Buick Park Avenue 4 Dr Ultra Supercharged Sedan

I've got a strange issue with my Buicks. (2 , a 97 and 98) Both exhibit similar problems. Both all the sudden have the ABS and Traction Control lights illuminated on the dash indicating that they are not working. At the same time,,, the Steering Wheel Switches stopped working and also the Radio. In the 98,,, something even more odd occurs. The Radio will all of the sudden start working,,, and as soon as I depress ANY of the drivers side Window Lift Switches,,,, the Radio stops working for a while again and then starts again about 2-5 minutes later.  Is this a Bad Ground wire somewhere by chance? If so,,, where do I start looking?  Thanks Much!!

110

UPDATE. Last night I disconnected the battery on the 98 Park Ave.. Re-connected it this AM and nothing resolved at all. In fact,,, the Fuel Gauge now Does Not Work. (The needle went all the way around past full to the post inside the Sw. WTF?? Checked all the fuses under the hood yesterday. All OK. Any ideas anyone??

645

It is almost certainly a bad ground that affects almost the whole car. There is a wad of wires that bolt to the engine block near the oil pan. Remove that and clean all of the eyelets and then install hte bolt and torque it to about 15 lb-ft. There are many grounds on this car. Pull back the carpeting from the firewall and check anything that attaches to the sheetmetal.

20

Have the same problem in re the traction control light, Air bag, interior lights, etc. Jim's answer regarding grounds sounds likely and (GM!) 'logical'. You can bet I'll be checking my own grounding bundle. As for the fuel guage; another beautiful piece of....GM engineers' logic process (bet you thought I was going to say 'piece of' something else, didn't you? There are two ways to fix this quasi-accidental design flaw. (1) take your Park Avenue to your GM dealer (be sure to take a large bag of money!), or (2) get a powerful magnet, such as a agricultural one. Shut your engine off, place the magnet directly over the instrument panel face above the fuel needle, and turn the magnet count clockwise. It (the needle) will move back to a "reset" position and STAY there after the magnet is removed. I know is sounds stupid, but IT WORKS. When you're done, it will be just fine (until the NEXT time your battery goes flat/has to be disconnected for ANY reason. When you get the fuel guage "fixed", take a drive by your Buich dealer, lean on the horn--assuming IT'S still operating--and give the whole gang a great big social finger! ;-)

...regarding the speedometer needle: I solved a problem such as this a few years back, with a standard, 2 dollar magnet from Harbor Freight. Just be careful not to scratch the plastic instrument panel. (piece of kitchen towel works fine) People could not believe it solved the problem...in about 2 seconds!

20

i have a buick park avenue 97 same issue it turned out to be a ground for my tail lights was loose and barely touching anything. all dash lights would illuminate over hard bumps and when i pressed the brake my radio turned off.. which led me to the trunk.. so ya check your grounds