best way to open hood with broken release cable is to remove the grille according to DavidH25 but what is best way to remove the grill since I can't open the hood

Asked by Jan 25, 2013 at 08:18 AM about the 1998 Buick Park Avenue FWD

I'm still working on that my friend, just no luck So far. But I have not given up. It's a F*** up situation, to open the hood the grille has to come off..and for the grille to come off the hood has to be open...there has GOT to be a way, one fellow broke his grille of with a hammer and bought a new one when the same thing happened, but he was very frustrated with the whole thing and I think he simply lost his temper. but important: I am NOT advising you to do THAT

102,175

Is there any way to get to the latch from under the car? GM's are usually open at the bottom. If you can't get to the cable, you may be able to remove the bolts that hold the latch. Another option is to use a hacksaw blade without the frame and cut a opening that can be epoxied back into place.

50

I was having this problem and i just got my hood open a few minutes ago. All i did was sit on the hood while i was looking fir the solution. When i got off the hood popped up and all i had to do was release the hood. Hope this helps any other buick owners

10

What Dustin wrote worked!! We did exactly what he said and heard a click. We then tried to unlatch it; it worked...much to my husband's surprise!! Thanks!!

Dustin - thank you. It worked for me too! I inherited my father's '98 Deville when he died 3 months ago. I'm a Mustang collector so I washed, clayed, waxed and detailed the car to perfect so I could sell it. But I've been traveling for business and just couldn't get to it, so it sat in my garage for 2 months! I just wanted to put it on the charger or change the battery (the battery BTW is fine per my analyzer), but I couldn't get the hood open. When the car sits for a while, the hood lock mechanism surcumbs to grease, oil, dirt, and grime, locking it in place. The under dash hood release works, but can't make the parts move. A liberal dose of Gibs Oil, Silicone spray, or WD-40 will fix that. If stuck (does not pop open when the underdash hood release is applied) sit on the hood, or press down firmly. Then "pop" the hood again,. If it still does not move, pull up on the hood by the top row of grille opennings, taking care not to put stress on the plastic grille; move your hands wide enough apart to lift the hood evenly. Mine poped right up, I lubricated the whole mechanism with Gibs Oil and the cable with graphite. 10 minutes on the battery charger and my father's baby NorthStar engine started right up. My afternoon will comprise a 30 minute cruise, some cleanup detailing and a new coat of wax for the pictures to go on Craig's list. If you know anyone who wants one, email me at jdettori@optonline.net John

10

We were at our wit's end about this darned stuck hood on my Forester. We need to do some maintenance or I can't drive it. While googling for a solution, I found this forum, read what Dustin wrote, and tried it. It worked! Hood is open! Thank you!

I tried what Dustin said, but was having no luck. I tried to pop it once more and it still didn't work. In frustration I shut the door rather forcefully and to my surprise it popped right up. Don't know if this will work for others, but it sure made my day better.

After pulling the latch go to the front of the car n slide you fingers in the middle n slide your hand over to the lleft m there is a lever kimda plate, push up

10

There are 6 Torx screws in the front of the Grill on my 92 Park Avenue, I removed them and was able to get at the cable.

But now that I got the grill off my 91 how the hell do I get the hood open I have tried everything I have read and seen and I still can't figure out how to get my hood open