If airbags are deployed in a 1997 Buick Park Avenue, can the vehicle still be driven?

Asked by Sep 20, 2012 at 12:29 PM about the 1997 Buick Park Avenue FWD

Involved in a collision.  Airbags deployed.  Vehicle deemed a total loss as a result of the airbags.  The vehicle is still driveable.  

705

Deployed airbags will not prevent a car from moving. Hitting something probably will make it unsafe to drive, though. It is impossible to say if it is safe, because you never know what other critical part is damaged. And a damaged part that breaks while driving may lead to the next accident. I'd vote to have it crushed.

35,655

Take it in and get it appraised. Get it crushed is about as inteligent as the response my father inlaw gave my fiance about her car. Its an 01 Sunfire needs about $1700 in repairs. The car on kbb is valued at $3400 in the condition it was in before the accident. He said junk it and get a new car for $2000. I looked at him and said where the F*** is she going to find an 01 Sunfire for $1700. As of right now for about $1200 in body repairs and $500 in junkyard parts the car will be back to a $3400 state.

705

@John, yes, I agree that getting a car appraised is the only option you have after hitting something hard enough to set off an airbag. My only point is that I don't think it is wise to drive a wrecked car. There were NO details in the original post, so I didn't have much to go on. As for being called "unintelligent," I think you can edit your posts a little better. This is about helping people with car concerns, not bashing those who give their advise.

35,655

I never called anyone unintellegent I merely stated that at this point having the car crushed is not an intelligent decision. Don't try to take what I said out of context if I wanted to call someone stupid I would flat out tell them they were stupid.

35,655

Btw a vehicles air bags can go off at 20 MPH if you hit something solid enough to bring it to a complete stop on impact.

705

Actually, airbag deployment occurs at vehicle speeds as low as 12 mph, and are relative, meaning that if you hit a post at 13 mph, the bags go off, but if you are traveling at 30 mph and you rear-end someone who is doing 25, the speed difference is only 5 mph, so they won't go off. Tip for the day ... don't hit stuff with your car. Have a good one, John!