Can somebody tell me what is wrong with my car?

25

Asked by May 23, 2014 at 07:04 PM about the 2001 Buick LeSabre Limited

My car has an array of probelms that I was told could be my Ignition Switch going bad
but im not really sure so i was looking for a few helpful tips. So here goes, so bare with
me. Sometimes I try to crank my car and it doesnt even attempt to turn over (no clicks
signaling dead battery), the dash lights up with service engine soon lights as well as
trac off light, security light, ABS light, volt light, radio blackout, no power locks, A/C
compressor stops blowing cold air, no interior lights, no oil life index reading, no fuel
level reading, no oil pressure reading, no tire pressure reading, no engine temp reading,
trunk wont open, reverse lights on in park, and wrong coolant temp reading (-40
degrees...in the summertime!?). Sometimes this occurs while driving everything turns
off driving thrn jumps back on when it wants to. Its like the car is playing games with
me. I need a REAL solution. Help please.

83,145

That sounds like a loss of electrical connection, so grab your wire brush and start in cleaning all of your power and ground connections.

104,185

I agree tighten and clean all battery connections. Also do the same to the negative battery cable on the frame and motor. If after doing all this the problem still happens try jiggling the key in the lock cylinder. Does doing this make the problem worse or better? If wiggling the key makes it do anything I would inspect/replace lock cylinder and switch.

25

i have checked the battery cables and i had it to my mechanics they tried to make the problems occur but nothing happened until i got it back. a day later she started back. the shop traced the wires so they say and found nothing. ill try the switch guys

25

Hey guys I'm back again nothing is working. I had a friend of my brother to check out the car with a computer but once he connected to the OBD II port he couldn't connect to the cars computer due to security lockdown and the car wouldn't crank. When the key was inserted it wouldn't even chime so I order an ignition switch but I think need a lock cyclinder with the keys do to the lost connection of the key. I have passkey III but I'm not sure if that would help anybody understand what's wrong.

im not sure about newer gm's, but check the pos. cable at the starter motor and the smaller wires at the starter are usually fusible link wires. make sure there are not any bad connections there. also check cables are making good contact with the battery sideposts. i recently had that problem after someone put a new batt. in. they did not tighten the 5/16 cable bolts all the way. one day it starts and then next time all thedash lites were flashing wildly or crazy. check neg. engine block ground,,s.. good luck

You may have a problem with the "PASS" key, security/anti-theft system, there are videos on bypassing the system. This circuit recognizes your keys "chip", and enables the fuel pump, and the starter. Often the ignition, can also be worn, and not read the keys resistor.