None of the rear lights work on my 1993 Chevrolet Suburban

Asked by Jan 04, 2013 at 06:29 PM about the 1993 Chevrolet Suburban K1500 4WD

None of the rear lights work on my 1993 Chevrolet suburban.. No reverse lights, no break lights, no hazard lights
(only in the rear) no turn signals (only in the rear) and no parking lights.. All of the front lights work. The reverse
lights flash for a brief second when put into reverse but that is the only time they will show life... Please help me!

61,005

Sounds like the connector where the rear wire harness plugs into the body harness got damaged or unplugged somehow. Could also be a bad ground connection back there too. Does your gas gauge still work? If so, It's probably that ground connection. Gas gauges usually use a separate ground connection than the rear lights. If your gas gauge is out too, I'd suspect that connection to the body harness. You'll need to either get a wiring diagram or trace the wires from either tail light assembly forward to find the connection. Your local Chevy dealer may be able to get a wiring diagram for you. HTH. -Jim

The gas gauge works well... The only gauge that doesn't work is the temperature gauge.

61,005

Check for a bad ground connection back there. Your brake, tail, & reverse light switches all complete the circuit to ground when activated. Is your rear license plate light also out?

The license plate light does not work either. And thank you for responding!

61,005

You're welcome. Check for that bad ground connection. That's the only thing I can think of that'll cause a catastrophic failure like that. Oh & I'm assuming you checked your fuses too?

93,655

Instead of looking for a bad ground connection, just make a new connection. In the Pontiac's, the black wire is the ground. I would think that Chevy uses the same colors. Splice into the black and run the wire to a body screw. If you have a meter, check it for power first. The running lights are brown. The brake lights are blue. Reverse is green.

Yea I have checked the fuses. I have also heard that the turn signal switch might be the problem but, I do not know.

61,005

I'd suspect that too if your tail & license lights were working. A bad turn signal switch will usually only effect the stop & turn lamps in the back. Just went through that actually with my '94 Cadillac Brougham.

Ok, I will try to make a new connection when I can to see if that helps! Thanks to everybody for helping!

15

Spray some WD-40 around the hazard light switch on the steering column and work it on/off about 5-10 times. Sounds crazy I know, but it worked for me after I found this fix in a blog online. Hope it helps!!