Just tried to start car...it was in 1st gear, it jerked and shut off. I pushed the clutch in to star and couldn't get it into gear. No gear will go in. Only when car is off I can put it in gear.

Asked by Apr 28, 2015 at 10:50 AM about the 2006 Scion tC Base

It simply will NOT go into gear if the
car is on.  If it's in gear and I try to
start it, it just turns and turns.  Won't
start. HELP! I have to be at work later

165

This could be a bad fuel pump, broken timing belt, inoperative cam sensor or crank sensor.

165

Your clutch could be out or you could also check your pressure plate or throw out baring.

Ok I've also ready a lot about this being a failed slave cylinder or master? Any idea why it would go into gear when the car is off but not when the car is on? The timing belt isn't broken from what I can see

165

Yes it very well could be. How many miles are on it? and have you ever replaced the clutch?

I never had the clutch replaced anf it had had 180K I just don't know how to tell if one of those cylinders is bad. How can I tell?

165

Well it don't sound like the clutch needs replaced unless you tend to use high rpm's. lol But look around the cylinder, if you happen to notice any wet spots then its leaking fluid which means you'll have to replace it. If you watch the cylinder as somebody else depresses the pedal, on the front of the cylinder is a hydraulic rod. When the clutch is depressed, the rod extends out, pushing a small fork that shifts the transmission. If the rod does NOT move when the clutch is depressed, then the slave needs to be replaced. Start your car and depress the clutch. If it is hard to shift, the cylinder might be bad. If it does shift, hold the clutch down for five minutes. Try to shift again. If the car will not shift or is very hard to shift or grinds, the slave is bleeding back and needs to be replaced.

Best Answer Mark helpful

Ok. I'll check and et back to you. Thanks

165

No problem buddy. Hope it helps ya

I had this happen to my car and it ended up needing a clutch disc. Did some poking around while replacing the master clutch cylinder and slave cylinder. A small metal ring fell out. Got a clutch kit today to fix it.

I push the clutch down on my 2007 Scion Coupe and it will not start