when I turn my headlights on and then apply my turn signals or even my brake lights, ALL of the lights on the rear of my car come on at the same time. what is going on?

Asked by Sep 11, 2013 at 05:16 AM about the 2007 Chevrolet Aveo LS Sedan FWD

when the headlights aren't on ,
everything works perfectly fine. I'm
hoping that this is just a simple
wiring mistake made by the
dealership while putting new taillights
on before I bought it.

From what you describe, you already figured it out. If they put new taillight assemblies on they wired it up wrong, although that is kinda hard to screw up since the wires have a detachable plug. But if they had the wiring apart...there you are ..with headlights on there is power back there that is not when headlights are off.

Dave, do you have any idea on how I could get to the wiring to check if everything is set up correctly?

it's just weird how everything works normally during the day when I don't need to use my headlights. but when I turn my head lights on and use a turn signal, all of the lights; including both turn signals, the tail lights, and the break lights,in the back of the car turn on with the signal(they dont blink either they just light up and stay there until I start moving again.)

OK when yous say 'until you stat moving again' that makes me think that is the same thing as saying 'when I take my foot off brake'....right? Only thing I can think of, if the dealer won't work with you and make it right (they should, they screwed it up) is start over. I am not real familiar with the Aveo, is the wiring exposed at all? There has to be a way to get to it, even if it means pulling the taillights out (again)and starting over. All you need is a 12V test light, to test which wire has power when running lights or headlights are on, and which wire(s) have power when brakes are applied, and turn signal, left and right, many cars use the same wires for the signals and brake lights, they just put power to both sides for brake lights, then you have the high mounted third brake light, It will be time consuming but not difficult, But first raise a fuss at the dealer. I don't mean be loud and obnoxious just no nonsense firm and polite

It has got to be something sending power to the wrong place with headlights on. OK, I realize I just stated the obvious, just thinking about it. I looked at some Aveo sites and threads and found nobody with the same thing going on