Need help

Asked by Sep 18, 2016 at 03:01 AM about the 1994 Chevrolet Caprice LS

I bought a 94 Chevy caprice with a kick-start on it
but I have to turn the switch then press the kick-
start to start my car it won't just start by pressing
the kick-start and if I'm driving for awhile like say
20-30mins then park it it won't start back up until I
let it sit for awhile before I can get it to start
again...I noticed when I turn the switch the doors
lock as if it's being stolen ...IDK if I should change
it back to a regular starter ignition or replace wires
because it's not like the car won't start at all it just
takes awhile to get it to start backup from driving it
for a while ...please help me

17,485

Do you mean a push button?

Yea

17,485

I have heard of others having this same problem and when they did change it back it did not fix it and some have had even more issues or car did not crank at all. There must be a correct way to install these but its not figured out well enough to apply it to all makes and models and to tell you the truth its gotten to much hype pushing. What it does is splice into the wire after the switch, which means the switch has to be turned on first but this switch wire also turns on and off other functions so unless you rewire those wires up to work as normal then the button becomes their power source and since the button is a spring loaded on/off the other functions loose their power source just after you push the button. For one the steering column in newer cars are not like they were when these push buttons first were used a half century ago, now the steering column is locked until you turn the key, so if you have to turn the anyway is it not just as fast to go ahead and turn it until it starts too. You see the cool factor has not been thought out to well. Plus you have to turn the ignition switch to activate all the electrical system too a push button system would need to have several on/off switches in parallel and then a push button and the steering column lock bypassed with column with no locking mechanism. A push button on a go cart works but unless you understand these wiring diagrams stay away from push button starter for your car.

OK so should I rewire an switch it back...because I bought it with the push button so IDK how to switch it back to being just regular...I would need to know the name of the wires an the name of what I'm switching it back to...so I can get a professional to rewire an fix the problem

But what you said was kinda helpful an alil understandable

17,485

I really think a shop is the best bet. Its the ignitions wires an dfuse block possibly and follow the buttons wires. There may be some possible way around this and keep the button but the steering lock still needs a key.