car shaking, and idling funny.

5

Asked by Apr 03, 2007 at 01:13 PM about the 1994 Chevrolet Camaro Z28

Just recently, when I start my car, its idling at about 400 rpm, and is shaking violently.

Also, at night, while idling, the lights seem to dim, then go back to normal, and then dim again each time the car shakes.

Anyone know whats wrong?

14,840

Dear ChrisUSMC-- I could think of 30 reasons why your 1994 Chevrolet Camaro is shaking like that. I tend to think the problem may be electrical because of the dimming lights. Check all your wires, look for a crack in your distributor cap, and check the distributor itself. Since you are asking this question I don't guess you are an experienced mechanic. I would think you might need some professional help to troubleshoot this for you in person. Good luck from Bovan.

355

Your car is meant to idle about 800 rpms. The alternator is barely putting out enough volts to keep the engine running let alone the lights. Something has happened to the idle speed. Either you have bad gas, restricted air cleaner or air flow, restricted exhaust (crushed pipe), Or someone has been dicking with the engine speed. Give us some more information.

14,645

First get your engine idle back up to 800 rpm. Your alternator will then put out enough juice to keep the lights bright, and the engine will run smooth. Use the advice from the above answer and have someone find out the reason the engine is not idling the proper speed.