Hi which year is the best between 05-08 sti?

20

Asked by Jun 06, 2010 at 09:12 AM about the 2006 Subaru Impreza WRX STI Turbo AWD

I love the STI but was wondering which year is the best? And should I try to find one stock or slightly modified?

40

the 05 sti is the best, i personally love the 06-07's as well. Don't get an 08, the hatchbacks are worse.

40

check out Mysubie.com, you can ask around and check out different models.

85

deffintly 2005... ! no doubt.

305

Interesting. Why choose the '05? There is nothing the '05 has over an '07 and the '06/'07 have better gearing and tend to be more responsive. The only reason I've heard of for people choosing an '04/'05 is because of styling preferences since there are no performance/mechanical advantages over '06/'07. The '08s are not bad cars whatsoever, but comparably, the new concepts used to design them didn't harmonize as well as previous (and future) years. Given a choice, I would never choose an '08. The general trend (with the exception of '08s) is that the newer the model, the more refined the tuning, parts, and the harmony between them. '07 had a tuning issue out of the factory, but the SOA reflash fixed that as well as any intelligent EM you decide to do. You'll find that people will claim that the best STI model year is whichever one they own. :) Having said that, and having driven all of the STIs (stock and modded) from '04-'08, without question, I would (again) choose an '07...but that's me. My advice is read, read, read, and (no offense intended) not to ask "which is better" because of biased, unsupported comments you will receive. The best thing for you to do is go and drive them yourself and you decide which puts a bigger smile on your face.

For me, the '07 struck the best balance of refinement and performance. Some folks weren't keen on the "flying vagina" motif for the front end styling, but it was still the best car of the lot, and a little unique with the dual spoiler system. The '08 suffered teething pains as a new body style, and generally wasn't really true to the historic STI model. If you can find a completely stock '07 that has been lovingly cared for, that would be a great car.

I just sold my 05 STI on this website. I owned the car since 2005 new, 83k miles. zero issues with car, just routine maintenance. zero mods. I would advise against mods to avoid issues with smog cert. The car is plenty fast. I will miss this vehicle, maybe the best year of STI. light, fast, loud, poor MPG...