changing engines

25

Asked by Apr 30, 2008 at 07:37 PM about the 1995 Subaru Impreza L

I have 1.8 lt engine now,I would like to install a bigger engine I live in the mountains need more power,What engine can i put in with little or no modifactions
1995 outback impreza 4 door sedan

42,095

Try the Subaru forums, you may be able to drop in a 6-cylinder, like a 2.5, or perhaps even a 2.0 4-banger.

145

cheaper to buy a newer 2.0 impreza

95

You have to get a engine that is before 1996 because that when they started OBDII. if not you will definetly run into some problems

255

just about any engine would fit its just about knowing what the hell your doing and having the right parts for it.

245

Subaru has been using pretty much the same engine block for the last 15 years.It's called the EJ-series, basically anything from that would fit without tempering with the engine mounts, which for example in Canada is illegal. As for what engine you should go for.My advice would be to get an EJ20 or EJ25 from a later Impreza.Those are 2.0L and 2.5L respectively.Should be enough for your needs.They should retail between 1 000 and 2 000 for used ones. Couple of things you want to make sure though: - Check the engine comes from an AWD Impreza so that the transmission and transfer case will fit. - If it's 1996 and up be sure that the computer comes with it - You will need to get all the ancillaries correct, O2 sensors, cam and crank sensor etc... and probably a new cluster if you get an OBDII engine - Don't do it in your garage there will probably be a lot of wiring to do. - Finally seek a trustworthy mechanic, preferably a respectable tuning shop that is used to swapping engines.

285

This is a really common question from subaru impreza owners, usually ones looking to get into the rally circuit. With your model year it would and Im sorry to say this be far cheaper to invest in a different car. For 1995 there is no simple solution, nothing that will work with little to no modifycations. So with that said you have to decide if you want to shell out more than the value of the vehicle to get more power, or if you and this would be my suggestion would rather get something new. Newer impreza's like 2000-2002 would definately be a much more cost effective route retailing for between 7,000-11,000. But if you love your scooby as much as I love mine, and your not planning on getting rid of it, and your dead set on an engine swap, then the guy above me definately knows his shit. Your not going to be able to handy dan this on your own, this is a job for a professional mechanic, so make sure you take that into accout. Good Luck.

25

Eh you can do this your self... Just need all the stuff. Just make sure you have the ECU pinout for both cars and rewire it your self pin by pin. I did mine by my self with the help of my friends here in there. Its really a matter of time and takin it slow. I made a frank motor from a 91 legacy SS block with JDM ej20g heads/intake and a 16g turbo. Just do some searchin on NASIOC.com and you will find all your answers. My car runs perfect with no CEL's. But like everyone else said it would be more cost effective to buy a newer car....

3,005

Definitely check out www.rs25.com and www.nasioc.com, some of the people there do engine swaps blindfolded.

Hay IM just asking if a 2L Impresa engine can bolt strate in to a LX Impresa which comes in a 1.6L

And it's a 1996 Impresa