Subaru Newbie Questions...

Asked by Jul 16, 2010 at 01:03 PM about the 2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5 i

I've always wanted a Subaru and recently my wife and I finally bought a 2007 Subaru Impreza Wagon 2.5 (I hope it's okay that I joined even though I don't have WRX or STI). We're very excited about it and we hope it lasts a long time. I have a few questions though:

First, would it be possible for anybody to post or direct me to a video/sound recording where I can hear how one of these 2.5 engines is supposed to sound (hopefully including sound when accelerating)?

Second, part of the reason I ask for the video or recording is that I notice that sometimes when I accelerate (particularly when going up a hill) there is a slight, but noticable vibration that comes from under the passenger side dashboard. Since I'm new to Subarus I'm not sure if this is normal because of their unique engine or if it's something I should be worried about.

Last, I notice a very slight squeal when the A/C is running. Is this normal? How noisey should the squeal get before I need to do something about it?

Also, how can I tell if it has traction control/ VDC?

Any other suggestions for a Subaru Newbie are also appreciated. Thanks!

5

There's a couple of Subie websites you can check out that might be of help to you. First is NASIOC, the other is iwsti I don't know where you're from but there is another, kysubaruclub.com Lots of info on all those boards :)

I too am new to the Subaru world (just bought my first one a week ago) and the only thing that I can say I have noticed that you are noticing is the AC noise. If it is what I hear then it kind of comes and goes every 30-60 seconds? Like something is kicking on then turning off? I believe it is normal, and makes me believe it even more if this is the same thing you are hearing. If not then I'm not sure exactly what it is that you are hearing. Hope this helps.

6,425

that noise every 30-60 sec is your fan for the ac cooler up fron you have to fans behind the radiator, one is for the radiator the other is used to help cool your ac core that sits in front of the radiator, so yes it's normal.

6,425

first set yourself up with a mysubie.com account, it has been a godsend for me. while I can't teel what that vibration is without actually being arround the car for a bit but it is NOT normal. I can however tell you that the squeal from the ac is just that you wither need to adjust the V belt for the ac compressor or replace it, the squealing depending on how bad is No bueno. as far as traction control check your owners manual or take it into your local Subie dealership and they can tell you for certain.