Starting Problam

Asked by Oct 14, 2012 at 11:40 PM about the 2001 Saturn S-Series 3 Dr SC2 Coupe

I have a 2001 3 door coupe recently Ive had problams getting it started(well Kinda) I can get it to start
every time all day on some days with know problam, on the other days I can get it started fine drive it
somewhere it wont start lights come on, door dingger dings but not a sign its gonna start. Tried push
starting it going forward no go, push start it in reverse it will start. Sometimes if I just rock the car it will
start. What couuld be causeing this

Check your starter. You may have a flat spot on the armature or the fields. That would explain why you can rock the car forward or backward and than start the car. By rocking the car your moving the armature to a different spot on the fields. It is also possible The bendix gear on the starter could be wearing. Take out the starter and bring it to an Autozone parts store. They will either be able to test it for you or send you to someone that can. Good-Luck this does not sound like a major problem. For obvious reasons I'd fix this before winter. Believe it or not sometimes when the car won't start if you hit the starter with a hammer on the casing it wil move you from the bad spot and the car may actually start. Throw a hammer in the back seat.

1,545

Needz moar new starter.