Transmission

Asked by Jun 18, 2016 at 02:12 PM about the 1998 Saturn S-Series 4 Dr SL2 Sedan

I have a Saturn,1998 sl2. My daughter drives it to
work. This morning it won't shift out of park, any
suggestions.

1,385

I think the transmission has a safety interlock shift Interlock system to it. With my 2002 Pontiac Firebird I have to put my foot on the brake in order to shift out of park. I guess the obvious question is I guess you probably put your foot on the brake to try to get it out of the parking gear? Additionally the steering wheel will lock too I don't think it has a connection to the parking lock in the transmission but make sure both the steering wheel are loose and you put your foot on your brake to shift to out of parking gear. If those simple normal things that you're supposed to do each time you get in the car don't work then I'd say you have something wrong with the shifter lock system I don't know the exact name of the part but it's something to do with locking the transmission in park could be a switch or sensor telling the shifter to release out of park good luck. Let us know if you have any more problems or if this works or whatever give us an update later.