How much will a tune-up cost for my 1996 Saturn SL2?

Asked by Nov 07, 2013 at 12:43 AM about the 1996 Saturn S-Series 4 Dr SL2 Sedan

I don't know much about cars and I was wondering if anyone could possibly ballpark the
cost of a tune up for my car?

Between 50 and 300 depending on what they find and what is replaced spark plugs are 3 dollars each roughly spark plug wires range from 5 to 10 each oil is 4 dollars a quart oil filter is about 10 water pump 25 to 50 timing belt is 15 and also mechanics fees an charges

A "tune up" is a misnomer these days on 21st century cars- they are engineered to go tens of thousands of miles without any attention other than oil changes- regular servicing happens at 30, 60, 90,000 miles and involves many things by a competent mechanic- what is a "tune up"? Change the spark plugs- the real question is: why do you ask? Is your car running bad?

My car is really loud and rumbles every time I drive it. It makes a noise every time I try to start it like its not gonna turn over although it always does. The back windows don't work, the A/C is broken and there is plenty of other nagging issues that make the car more of a pain to drive. Every other time I put my car in reverse it jolts when backing up. The brakes make a grinding noise infrequently but it happens from time to time. My car pisses through oil, the list goes on and on.

Time for a new car- one that you will like enough to maintain it

I like my car, I just don't think I have enough money to get it a tune up.