Where is the quad pack at?

10

Asked by May 30, 2015 at 09:21 AM about the 1993 Saturn S-Series 4 Dr SL2 Sedan

My husband is driving me bananas lol he said he will find it eventually but im sick of our
car being in peices. Please god some one tell me where the stupid quad pack is located
and how I can replace it if need be??

90,955

Never heard of a quad pack on a Saturn, perhaps he means a quad driver module, if so that is part of the ECM and is not serviceable, the ECM wil need to be replaced.

Best Answer
10

So how would you know if that needs to be replaced?? Just for shots and giggles where would it be located? Please Mr. Help a woman out here lol I just want my car back in normal form.

90,955

Behind the glove box. What are the codes that makes him think it is the driver module? Or is it completely dead?

10

Ummmm..... I need to look hold on he made me write them down lol he says 26 and 32 is what I wrote but I dont even understand how he would know that lol

90,955

Ok 26 is the quad driver output low and 32 is EGR system failure, so going on that assumption the ECM need replaced to fix the quad driver problem as long as the ECM power supply is correct and receiving proper voltage and all grounds are good, otherwise a new ECM will do the same thing. The EGR can be dealt with after the quad driver problem is sorted out. I hope he has a good shop manual for this car.

10

Is that different then the owners manual?? Aweeeee mannnnnnn, crap im never going to have my car in working order am i!?! Can I go to a junk yard and get this stuff or is it around the same price brand new? If he fixes these two issues will it be the dominoe effect and cause it to constantly need some new part? Is it safe to drive with these issues, or is it better to let my husband feel like a man and do what he can to fix it?

10

Oh, and thanks so much for all your help!!! Its a relief to have answers from a real person who knows what they are doing!!! You are more of a life saver then you know!!!

90,955

A shop manual is different than an owners manual, it contains the same information that dealers use to repair thier brand of vehicle, a good one is not cheap, sometimes your local library will have them in the reference section. I would not recommend a wrecking yard unless it has a warranty on the part. If your husband is mechanically inclined he should be able to accomplish this project, but like we say, we can't do the job if we don' t have the information and tools to do it. Give him a break, let him sort it out, especially if this is his first experience with automotive electronics. Ask him if he needs anything like some tool or wiring diagrams or a shop manual. This may sound weird coming from someone you don't know, but show a little interest in this just for him, maybe get your hands a little dirty, or just be there to hand him tools. My wife did that for me when I was just starting out years ago and now my granddaughter is loves to do it even thought she gets it wrong it is just the interest in the work. Ah well enough of that. Hope this helps get thing moving.

10

Well thank you very very much!!! And I will do as you say sir, its nice to get advice on how to make my husband feel better anyway I guess im headed to the library. Thanks again and if we have more issues i will be sure as to ask you!!!!!

90,955

Feel free to ask any questions. Hope it all goes smoothly.

10

Hey stranger! So everything seems ok so far. But now his issue is that he lost the keys a few weeks ago and we just four d them yesterday, well he tom the white rounds thingy out of the steering wheel to be able to drive the car with out the keys, any way he wanted me to ask if there was something he could put inside of it because its stripped from using the screw driver? Now that we have the mess he want to put it back together. Hope you can helpâ˜ș

10

*Found not four d lol sorry

10

On my gosh stupid auto correct lol he said its called an ignition switch and it went go back in place because of how stripped it has gotten. Is there an easy fix?

90,955

These are 2 separate items, the lock cylinder is where the key goes in and the ignition switch, that bolts to the column carrier assembly and the lock cylinder key way slides into it. So I'm not certain on what part he popped off, I should ask if it was metal or plastic that he is sticking the screwdriver in?

10

Hey sorry I have been crazy busy we have a two year old and a 7 month old and we just found out we are having another one lol. Ok so he said its plastic, he said its the black plastic piece that bolts on to the column carrier.

10

So my husband want to know if you are strictly Saturn guru or if you could also help with a 2003 impala starter issue, a buddy of ours stopped by after work and when he went to leave , bam, nothing.

90,955

Ok so that is the switch and it should available from most any parts store, if not in stock then overnight order. If there is no lights then he has lost all electrical power, most common cause is dirty battery terminals, they have to be very clean, none of the black corrosion. If it has lights then it could be either a bad starter or failed ignition switch.

10

So how can my husband figure out what the problem is? They have already replaced the starter and when he reconnects the battery it just continues to spin. What do you think?

10

Not even with the key on it just spins by its self automatically.

90,955

Electrically disconnect the ignition switch, check and see if it spins then, if not the switch has cross circuited internally, if it still spins then there is a cross circuit in the wiring to the starter crank circuit. Make sense?

10

Yes thank you. Now how does he electronically disconnect it lol

90,955

If he follows the wire bundle he should run into a connector and just disconnect it. The other style is plugged right into the back or side of the switch, same thing just unplug it.