What years/types of engine will fit in my 1993 Saturn SL1?

20

Asked by Dec 16, 2013 at 01:02 PM about the 1993 Saturn S-Series 4 Dr SL1 Sedan

I have a 1993 Saturn SL1 (SOHC) 5 speed, with a bad bottom end in the motor and want
to replace it.  What years and types will fit without modifying the wiring/computer etc?  
Does the 1993 DOHC version bolt in or do I need to stick with a SOHC?  Any input is
appreciated.  Thanks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturn_S-Series

could we not simply repair---rebuild the one you have....these engines are made of only a few pieces...unless cracked worn or melted...can be re- honed and rebuilt in the right hands...I recommend you don't screw around with another motor because you again will have a "frankencar" which may be difficult to explain at parts counters.....labor and connections will all go to a motor which will probably fail in the manner of the first failure {overheat and melt...else run without oil?} you didn't go into specifics on that...~

just get an engine GURU to install main bearings and check the health of the rest~

20

Thanks for your quick reply - much appreciated. I am definitely trying to avoid the "frankencar" scenario, but don't want to get into rebuilding this motor, as it already has 285,000 miles on it and the top end is getting tired as well. Motor was run low on oil ( not by me - really! - while on loan to a friend...) and a lifter is stuck as well. I have found a 93 DOHC motor for $350,00 and can do the swap myself, but I assume the electrical and ecm controls will be different. For a clean swap, do I need to stick only with a 93 SOHC? Or will any SOHC from 91 through ? work? Thanks again.