burning thru antifreeze car not overheating

20

Asked by Oct 23, 2014 at 11:00 AM about the 2001 Saturn L-Series 4 Dr L200 Sedan

have a 2001 Saturn put antifreeze in it last Friday the whole gallon 3 days later the low antifreeze light came on again (to add more antifreeze),car isn't overheating, the overflow bucket the antifreeze looks bubbly-sudsy looking any ideas? could I need to replace thermostat (maybe it won't close) or could it be water pump, worst case is head gasket but doesn't smell at exhaust and not a lot of white smoke

64,365

You have leak ether way you look at it,could be pump.or hose,s leak,worse case wood be head gasket,you need to find the leak,before it cost you your engine.

20

no leaks anywhere have checked for that

64,365

Well,kim,i will have to say, if you are loosing this much coolant,and don,t see a leak,you have a blowed head gasket.Car may be running ok,but it will be blowed at the exhuast side,meaning it is going out the tail pipe.May be slow leak at gasket,and burning it off,before you see much white mist out the exhaust.

20

how do I fix white changing head gasket is there a sealant I could buy?

TST knows what he's talking about kim. I agree.

You blew the head gasket get it fix car will be running fine no leaks

There are products that claim to fix blown head gaskets, and maybe even will for a very short time but think, kim, some kind of gummy crap circulating through your engine, looking for holes to plug? Causes problems later with clogged oil passages, there are very small holes in your piston rod caps for example to allow oil in bearing..it clogs those up..things like that

I agree with him .can you help me out with my ???? I just updated

60

SATURN L SERIS HAVE A PROBLEM OF LOOSING COOLANT AT THE FIREWALL, WHERE THE HOOK UP IS FOR THE HEATER HOSE CONNECTIONS. THEY HAVE ORINGS AND CAN LEAK FROM AGE. THERE ARE LITTLE GREEN PLASTIC ITEMS BEHIND THE CONNECTORS THAT ARE FOR RELEASING THEM. NOT AN EASY THING TO DO BUT A GOOD CHANCE THIS IS WHERE YOU COOLANT IS GOING AS YOU DRIVE THE VEHICLE. AS THE COOLANT HEATS UP IT LIKELY CAN LEAK THERE. THIS IS FROM FIRST HAND EXPERIANCE. TRY TWISTING THE CONNECTORS, (THEY WILL TURN), TO SEE IF LIME BUILD UP IS THERE AND IT MAY SLOW THE LEAK DOWN. COULD HEP YOU DETERMINE IF THAT IS THE LEAK LOCATION.