when starting, it clicks, but starter won't spin.

Asked by Dec 31, 2012 at 02:36 PM about the 1995 Chevrolet Lumina 4 Dr LS Sedan

If I jump the starter, motor will run as long as starter is engaged

Not sure what your question is but........ Reading what's wrote, replace the starter and solenoid.

What do you mean by "jump the starter"? It spins the starter motor but it doesn't engage the flywheel to start the engine?

Bad solenoid - plain and simple. The solenoid acts as a relay providing power to the starter motor. If it "clicks" but the starter is not turning but the starter motor turns when you jump the 12v from the solenoid to the + terminal on the motor, then the contacts inside the solenoid are burnt or the solenoid has become weak or has a jam point (usually caused by rust pits inside the housing) Replace the solenoid. plain and simple.

This symptom and test can also occur with a weak battery, too. There's enough amperage to spin the disengaged starter motor but not enough to actually crank the engine. It could also be a sign of a starter with bad windings for the same reason. If you turn the key and hold it for, say, ten seconds then feel the starter housing. If it is warm then consider these two possible problems, also.

I have a 2002 dodge durango 4.7 2wd my truck would drive real slow wouldn't pull and it would shut off when I came to a stop i have put on spark plugs, shift shaft sensor, AP something sensor, change the oil and had a filter put on. I go to the store today and it still wouldn't pull. Now it turns over but it won't start even when I push the gas while trying to crank it. What's wrong with it