2007 Cadillac SRX Blind Spots

Asked by Oct 23, 2014 at 08:09 PM about the 2007 Cadillac SRX V6

I had a crash in my 2007 Cadillac SRX.  It was obliterated by a speeding vehicle that was approaching from the passenger side as I was turning left across its path.  The light was red.  I had the green arrow after the red light delay.  The opposing vehicle was going 10-15 miles over the speed limit.  My question is why I could not see the much smaller car (Ford Focus) in my right peripheral vision (I have excellent peripheral vision)?  Then I recalled notating a very annoying blind spot in the car's construction in that area some time ago.  I recall (had the car for three years) realizing there is a blind spot on the passenger side windows (where the frame is just to the right of the windshield and the left of the passenger side front window).  The car came out of nowhere.  Because it was speeding, it was not in the view area as I engaged the intersection to turn left.  I read online there were blind spots, but suddenly can't find a thing about them.  Can anyone help that can offer feedback concerning these (blind spots).  Thanks in advance.

Here is the truth and the answer: http://conservancy.umn.edu/bitstream/handle/11299/760/1/200216.pdf Now all I need is to research how the SRX model handles there blind spot. The reason I'm so adamant about this is that the cop ticketed me although the guy was speeding over limit, ran a red light and looked exceptionally guilty as my child lay on the sidewalk with heart palpitations so severe that three angels in the form of doctors stayed by his side administering to him until the paramedics showed up. So if anyone can please help with info or statistics on the severity of Cadillac's (SRX, 2007 model) Pillar A blind spot, I pray that I can hear from you in time. Thank you again.

I'm sorry for what you went through but every vehicle on the planet has an A pillar(and a B, C and in most cases a D pillar). It's what holds the roof up. Not sure why you received a ticket though?

Thank you, TransAm77, I certainly appreciate your input. There are a number of speculative reasons the cop may have sited me for...mainly it's a system and they look for the most specific reasons to state another maximum day of profit. In this case, no witness, and finally a left turn is semi-illegal in most states. At least I think so sarcastically, but the judge will need my facts and not sarcasm. I'm hoping this information helps.

In traffic law - when you turn left in front of someone - you have violated their right of way. Unless there is compelling evidence to show the other driver caused the accident, you will receive the citation. As for the other driver running a red light - you could not have known that unless you were also looking at the light red on your side. In which case - you both would be in the intersection illegally. Then it goes back to the first event - speeding or not, the straight driver has right of way over the turning driver.

Thanks for your answer, rvtime. Yes, you are correct, anyone making a left against an opposing direction needs to insure the right of way, except when they are driving against the right of way (which belonged to me on a green arrow which the right of way for ME was being made impassable by a speeding car running a red light). That is truly the question which I think you missed. A GREEN turn signal has to be acknowledged due to the fact that the light had to have been red on the opposing direction's side. My focus in asking the question was rather I still could have prevented someone from hitting me utilizing my peripheral vision, which the blind spot was blocking. If you have information on blind spots please feel free to re-answer with information. Your effort to help is not overlooked. Thanks for trying.

sorry, my mistake - I missed the part where you were on a green turn arrow. In that case, you have a defense if you could just find a witness. As for the blind spot - I have a "very" liberal attorney brother-in-law and he does not think your blind spot defense would work. But that doesn't mean you can't try.

Good News! Instead of having to figure out the logistics of red light, green light, I was fortunate to be allowed to take a defensive driving course which costs slightly less than the ticket. Court battle, moral compass deterred! No points on my license either. Rvtime, I did ask a few attorneys in preparation and was told left turns in general are troublesome...I don't exactly know the outcome. Unfortunately, if there are no witnesses and the cop believes the other person (in my case the guy was speeding so his word went over mine as a tell-tell sign that it's all business for them. The guy wasn't given a ticket for going over the limit in a zone of 35 mph posted and a 45 - 50 mph impact. I can only say, "Thank God we are alive and thank God for defensive driving school"! The judge was given to hear this one and the cop told me they generally rule in favor against the driver turning left. I was hoping to set the opposing driver's disregard of speed against the A pillar since he was clearly not visible in or near the intersection visibility as I committed to the left turn. Now, graciously, I have been given an exit. I'm avoiding exiting stage left, that's for sure, lol!