My car is jerking when I press on the gas. I changed the fuel filter.

Asked by Aug 02, 2014 at 04:05 PM about the 1996 Chevrolet Lumina 4 Dr LS Sedan

Should I do a tune up?  Should I change the fuel pump?

1996 will have OBDII. Get a OBD scan at a large parts house, many do it free, some not, some will rent you a scanner. Then come back (in a new question so we will see it) with the codes. If you are not familiar with the OBD, aka DTC system give the word and I will do my best to explain.

Can you please explain what that is. Thank you

Beginning in 1996 all cars sold in the US are required to have OBD or On Board Diagnostic ports. Looks like this but that one is not a Lumina. Anyway they hook up a scanner to retrieve fault codes, the ECU detects and stores DTC Diagnostic Trouble Codes. They begin with a P for Power Train, followed by four numbers. for example P0170 means the fuel/air mix is too rich, or not enough air for the amount of fuel being injected. The port is usually under the dash drivers side, or in the middle, even hidden behind an ashtray or cupholder. But it must be able to be accessed with no tools. Then you can look up the code for causes and solutions.

Actually OBDII. Pre-1996 most had OBD, that used the CEL, Check Engine Light for sequences of flashes and patterns for diagnostics. It worked, but not as well as OBDII Take a look at this page: When your CEL lights up on the dash, that tells you there has been a fault detected, but often there will be a code even if the light is not on. The system does help with many things, but the DOT could care less about your car or you, except when it comes to emissions, and that is why it's law to have it