96 chevy cavalier Z24

Asked by Mar 17, 2011 at 03:01 PM about the 1996 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 Coupe FWD

what is the dash gauge symbol that is a red box with a liquid in the bottom and an arrow pointing down into the box. how can i get it to go off?

For some reason I am thinking oil but I'm not even sure. I know that the '96 Cavalier's had major engine problems, along with transmission issues such as it slipping gears or not catching... usually cause the shifting cable (or wires) need to be replaced.. usually a 200 dollar set back. But back to the point, I would have to see a picture of the it to know for sure. Sorry not much help...

This is your low coolant light. This year Cavalier is notorious for coolant related problems or problems that involve coolant loss, leaking etc. If your not leaking coolant onto the ground check your oil. Elevated oil level, thin foamy appearence most likley means a haed gasket. If you are leaking coolant to the pavement, where its hitting the ground goes a long way to help diagnosing where its comming from. Freeze plugs have been known to leak on these vehicles along with the heater cores. If it appears to be in the same area as the condensate water when you run the AC it could be the heater core. Unlike some other vehicles, the interior carpet will not get wet, it leaks out the same drain tube as the AC. Good luck.

I changed my water pump and it went away. either that or it finally burnt out