Starting problems

Asked by Jan 13, 2016 at 05:22 PM about the 1992 Buick Roadmaster 4 Dr Limited Sedan

The fuel pump fuse in my car keeps
blowing, as fast as I put it in it blows. And
the wire connected to it is getting power to
it even when car is off

Sounds like the fuel pump has a short in it causing fuse to blow.

Best Answer

So replace the fuel pump

If you are getting power to the fuel pump when the car is off. You have an issue there and its NOT the fuel pump. Before ignition switch/wiring is suspect. Check the fuse box itself you might have a wire in there that over time has chaffed and worn through causing this issue. The fuse blowing right away is a direct power to ground type short. Because it is happening with the power off (I mean ignition power) I am "guessing" that it is before the ignition switch and might be in and around that fuse box. So check the wires to see if anything has burned (laid up against exhaust) or worn through. It will not take much so look close. Good luck! Dan

Thank Dan I will check and let you kno

I've had the problem before and was told it was a wire that was going to transmission is that possible if so which one could it be

The fuel pump and sender wiring runs along the driver side floor to the back of the car. The wiring for the tail lights is also on the driver side. There is no transmission wiring on that side or in that circuit. That wiring runs from firewall center down to the transmission. If you want to try this for laughs go under the back of the car (driver side) and locate you fuel tank wiring. Follow it until you get to the plug. Unplug the harness and then check (with car off car harness side) with a volt/ohm meter to ground for a short. You should have three wires on the plug. One will be a ground the other is the power for the fuel sender and the heavier gauge wire will be the power for your fuel pump. you should only show a short reading for the ground the other two should have no reading (again no power to ignition) On my 96 roadmaster wagon there is a red wire at the front of the car pass side that is a test terminal for the fuel pump. If your 92 has this same you can check there too to see if there is a short. I hope I am no being to vague. If you need more help just ask. I know electrical demons are a bitch to find. Take care Dan