How to prevent windshield wiper arms on my 2005 Buick Rendezvous hit and over lap each other.

5

Asked by Nov 26, 2016 at 12:19 PM about the 2005 Buick Rendezvous Ultra

I have a 2005 Buick Rendezvous and the wiper blades have always been
wrong. They overlap and hit each other. I tried to take them off and adjust,
but no luck. I don't know if they were removed and re-installed incorrectly
before I got the car. Can someone tell me how they are supposed to be
arranged. Does the driver side go above the passenger side? Does the
park position have an adjustment? Cycling may be a problem. Etc...

775

If you go to a good parts store buy new wipers they will install them for you.

425

Which ever direction they wipe the top one is front, so if drivers to passenger then passenger would be top. It's possible the teeth are stripped and its dragging one wiper, when you take them off look at the teeth and insert, might need a replacement. Id maybe put one on, lift the other, hold it with some light resistance and run it, see if it pulls your hand or just rotates without the blade moving.

5

The blades are not the problem. The correct blades have been purchased and installed. The problem is the arm placement. They are not installed properly.

5

I cannot find a diagram or video/pictures showing the proper placement of the arms in the parked position. Splines seem fine. I just need to know which one is on top and where the resting position should be. How far apart are they when parked.

5

Does anyone have this car and will post a picture of the arms position when parked?

68,655

Driver's side always goes on top. Remove the wiper arms. Turn on the wipers with the arms removed. Turn off the wipers. Put the passenger's side arm on first so the blade is straight across the glass. Then put the driver's side arm on the same way only with the blade above the passenger's side blade about a half inch. Now, with the windshield wet, on high speed, the top tips of the wiper blades should be about one quarter to one half of an inch from the windshield moulding. HTH. -Jim

Your problem may be you have the blades reversed. There are two different size blades. The longer one goes on the driver side and the shorter on the passenger. If they are reversed, or both long blades, they will forever strike each other when working. As the other posters said, driver side blade on top when at rest. Also, keep the blades separated when parked, about 2" or so. If they are too close to each other they will strike each other at the start of the cycle. Good luck. --EdK