2007 Toyota Corolla CE - Won't turn-on rightaway & Has ticking sound!

40

Asked by Jul 16, 2014 at 01:12 AM about the 2007 Toyota Corolla CE

I have a 2007 Toyota Corolla CE which i recently had the engine top-end / oil pump / lifters
etc. replaced. However i'm experiencing a few issues, The car takes awhile to start it will
turn over but just wont start right away. Another issue is it has a ticking sound when idle,
Ive tried almost everything including using some Lucas on it but it only fixed the issue for a
few days, Sometimes the car sounds like a diesel truck. Your help is appreciated guys!

143,415

A 2007 Corolla with a 1.8 1ZZ FE has 'bucket' lifters that when worn out, they often use shims instead of replacing the buckets (they fit down over the valve spring). They are technically not lifters, better described as 'followers' and to replace the buckets the cam has to come off, using shims that is not necessary. Unless you have racked many many miles, or have run it low on oil habitually, it should be FAR from needing that. Go back and see if you can make the mechanic PROVE he replaced them..one way is to produce the old ones. Change the oil (yes, again) and try a good full synthetic or at least a good quality conventional to get rid of that Lucas additive. If he did put in shims and improperly installed one or more it could have come out and there is your 'tick'. It has VVi (Variable Valve Timing) also.

143,415

Again, unless you have put...say...175,000 to 200,000 miles on it a 2007 should not need all that work. Nearly 30,000 miles a year? Not unheard of but that would be mostly highway miles, even more evidence of my opinion. Those 1.8 liter engines are a proven, reliable dependable long-lasting engine. What happened to have you have all that done? One more thing..when you say 'top end' you mean a complete valve job....head off? This one is really bugging me, I am missing something maybe. How many miles ARE on it? Have you changed the oil every 5k miles..... or 8k to 10K miles if you are running synthetic? Exactly what brand and viscosity oil are you using?

40

@FordNut I'm not much of a mechanic but from what he told me and the parts i see him work with, he replaced the engine head + gasket + oil pump & filter + lifters. In regards to the vehicle it has around 145k miles on it, I'm considering taking this to the shop again do you have any idea what i should ask them to do? I just really don't want to pay the $100+ on a 'check-up'.

143,415

We were typing at the same time there..I really want to at least try to help. What was it doing? Was it just for service and he convinced you that all work was needed? 145k miles is beginning to get up there, but I stand by what I said

40

In regards to the oil i'm not exactly sure i usually take it to the shop however i've used 5W-30 on it several times. We are considering doing an entire engine swap but i just have a feeling it isn't needed because again the only issue is the ticking & the delay in starting (i have to try 3-4 times to get it running, other than that it isn't overheating or leaking or anything.

143,415

5W30 is right. I would go back and let him listen to it, find out what his excuse is, for all that it should purr like a kitten. You should not have to pay a dime

143,415

And after it does start does it run well then? Is there a Check Engine light on?

40

@FordNut Well prior to hiring him to work on it the vehicle was shutting itself off and kept stopping on its own and it literally sounded like a semi, He told me that a lot of it had to do with a lot of gunk that was stuck. Then after he flushed it out and did several oil changes and used i think its called Marvel oil it began to sound normal but then it had a ticking noise to it so he said it would need a new head or an engine swap. So we purchased a head with low miles and he replaced it along with the other components stated above, Again i'm not an mechanically inclined person so i'm not sure if i was scammed or etc. but i did open up the hood and seen the top was different so unless he swapped just the cover idk really.

40

I wish i could go back unfortunately this was done appx. 1.5 months ago and the shop has closed down since, Not that it was an very professional shop to begin with. Thanks for the help though, I guess i'm going to have to pay for an check-up after all.

143,415

Looks like you are, unfortunately. I'm not surprised to hear it's closed, I bet you are not the only victim. And I use the word victim in it's worst meaning. Sorry I was not much if any help, I do know Corollas and I think you were screwed.

40

Sorry i missed your last post, Yes after it turns on it runs perfect with the exception of the slight ticking there is no check engine light on.

143,415

Best of luck Tubz. On behalf of Toyota owners one and all, sorry. You got the shaft.

Best Answer
40

I appreciate your assistance, Thanks so much for helping.

143,415

Some people swear by that Marvel Mystery oil, but a good synthetic has every additive you car will ever need. That stuff is for when he does not know what else to do, a desperation shot

143,415

And your'e very welcome

5

test

5

I got a 2004 corolla CE (my wife's) we went recently two long trips; coming back in the highway @ 75 mph got oil lamp almost on/off for a while, heard a estrange noise, car lost strength, start hearing clicking/clattering noises; drove for 5 min trying to find a spot to park as I was climbing a hill; car losing power gradually finally shuts down. went to check all oil is gone! blue smoke coming out of dip stick hole. Car was towed home; before that, 4 quarter of oil was added and it starts and idle with minimal clattering/clicking but if revving up engine clattering/clicking grows lauder. I am told I was lucky engine did not seize. we considered getting new car; no good; too expensive; getting engine replaced by dealer; better buy new car then as it is almost 10.000!, lastly I am considering ordering an engine with Autozone. I have been watching videos and reading about the issues and wonder if I really need to replace the whole engine. My across street neighbor is a mechanic working out of his garage, he says he has his address listed as a business where the engine can be shipped to; he also suggested to open up the engine, strip it up and replaced or rectify whatever is damaged? I am very confused and don't know what to do; The whole engine swap price is about $3000 that is not counting labor for the mechanic and anything else it may be there to do. Car has 90000 miles on it; last 2 oil changes were done @ Walmart since last December; we got their receipts and the sticker in the windshield reads next oil change is due 8/6/14 or 91000 miles! There is not leaks of oil that I could find anywhere but my wife have been complaining of rattling noise before that went away once she did the last oil change. we found out the issues and put it all together after these event; I did not checked the car oil level trusting it was ok! How am I suppose to know and by the time this happened it looks we are in deep trouble. Any advise would be considered and greatly appreciated! New engine or inspect engine first as it may be something repairable? Thanks all!

40

@autonoob sounds EXACTLY like what happened to me, Needless to say i found a place locally that can get me a 44k mile 1.8L engine for $950 + labor will run anywhere from $750-1500 so we'll have to see. $3000 should be enough for an engine swap labor + parts + oils etc. As i stated above i'm not an mechanic however i live by the words of "better safe than sorry", I rather have an complete engine swap done than to repair it and have it crap out later on but that's just me... Best of luck with your issue.