97 CHEVY CAVALIER SHAKES THEN DIES... HELP

Asked by May 15, 2013 at 07:31 PM about the 1997 Chevrolet Cavalier LS

OKAY I BOUGHT THIS CAR ABOUT 4 MONTHS AGO. IT WAS RUNNING GREAT IN THE BEGINNING AND THEN ABOUT A MONTH OR TWO AGO IT STALLED OUT ON ME WHEN STOPPING AT A STOP SIGN. I WAS ABLE TO GET IT STARTED AGAIN BUT THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT WAS ON AFTER THAT. I WENT AND HAD THE CODE READ AND IT WAS THE EVAP SYSTEM MALFUNCTION. I CLEARED THE CODE BOUGHT A GAS CAP AND IT WAS RUNNING GREAT FOR A WEEK IF THAT. THIS TIME IS STALLED WHEN I WAS BACKING UP. I WOULD START IT AND IT WOULD START SHAKE AND THEN DIE I WOULD TRY AGAIN AND THE RPMS WOULD GO ALL THE WAY TO 4 AND 5 WITHOUT PRESSING THE GAS. I HAVE TAKEN IT TO THE SHOP AND HAD THE INTAKE GASKET REPLACED. CAR LEFT THE SHOP JUST FINE AND AS SOON AS I WAS LEAVING THE STORE IT STALLED OUT ON ME. WHEN I PRESS THE GAS ITS LIKE IT DOESNT GET TO IT. ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEAS AS TO WHAT THIS COULD BE. I CANT AFFOR TO SPEND MUCH MORE MONEY. THANKS.

the TPS is my first guess (hey that rhymes)http://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts/WC/3154- 01040833.html? utm_source=google&utm_medium=ff&utm_content=YN&utm_campaig n=PartsGeek+Google+Base&utm_term=1987-1991%2C+1995- 1997+Chevrolet+Cavalier+Throttle+Position+Sensor+Delphi+87- 91%2C+95- 97+Chevrolet+Throttle+Position+Sensor+1990&gclid=CLXW0Ymrmbc CFao7MgodhRsAaQ

my second guess would be an ambient air temperature sensor~>>>http://www.stockwiseauto.com/product_info.php/products_id/ 652478/fit_id/8851/Year/1997/Make/Chevrolet/Model/Cavalier/source/goog leps?gclid=CLWllburmbcCFbSMMgodbwYAoQ

coolant temperature is important too, if your ECM is going to puzzle this out >>>http://www.1aauto.com/1A/coolant-temperature- sensor/Chevy/Cavalier/1AACD00024/397863/1997? utm_campaign=gb_api_br&year=1997&utm_content=ACD&gclid=CPStrJ 2smbcCFY87Mgod7xgAVw

where man meets machine is my first guess, of course---your accelerator position sensor, or TPS on your car~ 'tsGotta be it, brother~

if that don't do it, start looking for a vacuum leak using an unlit propane torch~

9,545

Since you popped the Evap code I would look into that system. There will be a small tube running from the top of your fuel tank or filler neck to the front of the car to the Evap canister and then up to the intake manifold on the motor. Check the plastic tubing and components for leaks check the purge valve. The line through the cab may be tricky.