my jeep commander 2007 3.7 v6 wont start

70

Asked by Jul 29, 2014 at 01:18 PM about the 2007 Jeep Commander Overland 4X4

my jeep commander wont start the battery is brand new starter motor brand new altern is not problem i think maybe the ignition switch but i found a ignition module in the ignition switch too i dont know witch one could be bad can you help me?

285

wont start or the engine wont turn at all??

Best Answer Mark helpful
21,665

I,d say none of above, maybe scan for a code . crank or cam sensors? fuel problem? ,needs more checking over

285

i was asking because wont start or don't turn at all are two different things, and to better help them we need to if it cranks or not.

70

Does not turn over

70

Will not turn over

285

before getting involve with the ignition switch, check the starter relay in the power box (fuse box) under the hood, look at the lid of the box and look for the starter relay, have some one turn over the ignition switch a few times, and if the relay is good you will hear "click" on the starter relay,if you put your finger on top of the relay you will feel the click too. let us know

30

This problem is widespread with 2007 Jeep Commande, as I type this message mine is stranded in a parking lot, right after sinking $900 into it, with a new starter part of that $900. This is a DEFECT that Jeep refuses to acknowledge, so many people having this issue.

10

There is a recall out for the ignition switch for most Jeep Commanders. Contact Chrysler manufacturer and give them your VIN to see if you're a part of the recall. Then report it to NHSTA( safercar.gov) because this is the ONLY way they will issue recalls if the problems are reported to them. Hope this helps someone.

20

if you recently got the recall done on the ignition switch you will probably need to take it back to dealership. I got recalled performed on ignition switch and have had nothing but problems since. Just today my car shut down on the freeway for no reason then started again. I have had 2 engine diagnostics performed because keep told me there is no way that the new ignition switch is bad. I recorded the whole scenario as well as the conversation with Jeep this morning. I told Jeep if this persist and actually causes damage I will be suing them. All of a sudden they can get my car in the shop and issue me a loaner... their recalled new ignition is a piece of junk!

Until just today, my 2007 Jeep Commander with 60k miles on it has not had one problem since the recalled ignition switch was replaced in April. I drove it yesterday, started, turned it off, restarted several times without one problem. Suddenly, BAM! I went to drive it this evening for the first time today since it was driven yesterday. It started, then died. Started, then died. Started, then died. Started, then died. After that, it wouldn't start. Interior and exterior lights work, so it's not the battery as far as I can tell. I will be checking the battery tomorrow. Yesterday, two things happened to my Jeep that may or may not be connected: 1) I filled it with gas. Regular, as always, but at a gas station I'd never been to. It started and ran all day after being filled with gas. 2) I took it to Les Schwab Tires because there was a very slight vibration in the steering wheel. It also felt weird while braking. Turns out the wheels were slightly unbalanced. Wheels were rebalanced. The slight shaking is gone, as is the weird feeling while braking (I thought maybe the brake pads were low and in need of replacing. Nope.). Coincidentally, my 2008 Chevy 3500 dually just went in to Les Schwab for new front rotors. Next day I drove it and the "service trailer brakes" light came on the dash. It was not on for long and then it went off. The truck has not had a trailer hooked up to it since March. Since that day, the "service trailer brakes" light has come on a few more times. One time it flashed off and on for quite awhile. Then I got home, turned off the truck. Next time I drove it, the light was off. Until....drove somewhere, turned it off, and restarted it about 1/2 hr later. Sitting in the parking lot, the "service trailer brakes" light came on. Just yesterday, I took it back to Les Schwab Tires. They are claiming that they had nothing to do with this problem and that since the light is not on consistently, they cannot determine the cause. I asked it they checked the fuse and the harness in the back of the rig to see if it looked disturbed as I had requested, and they did not. So now I have a second vehicle that was just at Les Schwab Tires that now has potentially a major problem? Are both problems just a freaky coincidence unrelated to front brakes and front tire rebalancing? Strange mystery. I'm calling the Jeep dealer tomorrow. Sigh.