Where do I go from here???

Asked by Dec 25, 2012 at 10:04 AM about the 1997 Chevrolet Cavalier RS Coupe

History: Periodically the low coolant light comes on. Coolant level is fine and light eventually goes off. (Not sure if this is related to my main problem.)
After having driven about 250 miles of a 500 mile trip. Car was driving fine. I stopped at rest stop and fueled up and continued on. Check engine light came on. It was solid at first. Within the next 10-15 miles, it began to blink and the car continued to lose speed and was hesitant to acccelerate back to speed. (as if the transmission was slipping) I made it to the rest stop as the car stalled. When I would try to restart the car, it would start but as soon as you put it in gear, it would shut off. I had to wait approximately 3-4 hours in the snow/rain and cold for my parents to come and rescue me. Once they were there, the car would not even start. The car was towed to my parents house. Now for repairs. Don't have a lot of money and don't know if it is even worth looking into. Many things were mentioned to me. ie: cam position sensor, timing belt, coil packs, bent rods or rockers, etc. I am on my own with this and am a female so I am afraid I am going to get taken for a ride. Please help.

8,345

I will help you diag it, first relax, there are every possible reason for such things, so don't be scared by peoples opinions. If the check engine light was flashing it was a mis-fire, meaning the cylinders did not continue working in the order as they were supposed to...that is an engine issue, not transmission :)...as far as restarting, was it completely dead, or sound like it wanted to, but never do it? If the car cools down will it restart for a few moments? Where about you located? feel free to message me to figure it out further...

Best Answer
92,125

I wouldn't worry about the timing belt (it has a chain) or rods or rockers. You didn't do or hear anything that would damage them. The blinking check engine meant that it was in the "limp" mode to get you to the rest stop. Sounds like it could be something to do with the fuel since it started after getting gas. It could also be one of the sensors. You'll know better when the codes are read. Men get taken for the same ride if they don't have any idea of where the problem is.

31,845

I completely agree with Tenspeed on the bad gas. Bad gas will cause a misfire loss of power flashing check engine light and eventually no restart.