I have an issue with my 1999 Volvo S70 GLT. It has over 250,000 miles. The problem seems to be with accelerating. After driving about a mile or so, it starts to slip acting as if it's in neutral. The engine continues to stay on though. After waiting a few minutes, I'm able to drive it a little more before the problem occurs again. I've taken it to several places to get it checked, and they all say the same thing, which is to get the entire transmission replace, which would cost about $2400. I'm pretty limited financially, so I'm really hoping this is not the only solution. I had the car diagnosed a few times already, and these codes keep coming up: P0756, P1618. I know that these are just generic codes, but was still wondering if I could get some help. Do I really need to replace the whole transmission, or is there a cheaper solution?

10

Asked by Jul 08, 2012 at 03:20 AM about the 1999 Volvo S70 GLT Turbo

Volvo 1999 S70 (GLT)

217,765

The slipping and acting like it's in neutral is a sure sign of a transmission failing. P0756 is a transmission shift soleniod error. I will tend to believe the mechanics are correct and that you need a transmission rebuild. $2400 is a fair price for the work as a new remanufactured one tends to be in the $4k range. Think of it that you got to 225K miles without a rebuild. Most transmission don't last this long with some work. Sorry there isn't a cheaper solution. Cars and especially older cars need parts and repairs more often.

10

Thanks for your answer Tom. Unfortunately, the car was sold to me this way, and I discovered the transmission problem later on. Do you think replacing the soleniod would help? I was considering doing that, even though it may be just a temporary fix.

4,395

Change the fluid. Don't flush it, drain and fill it (there is a drain plug) every week or so until the fluid appears clean. Replace the solenoids. Cheaper and much easier than replacing an entire transmission. There are 3 to 4 solenoids, if just one fails the car may be unable to go into gear. Most shops wont want to spend time troubleshooting and replacing parts on a transmission. It is easier and more profitable to replace the transmission vs troubleshooting and having call-backs. I've had a few cars that were simply solenoids, or even faulty PRNDL switches where shops had told other that the transmission was bad.

40

You can get a Trans much cheaper at junkyard "thay usually Guarantee Trans! and then have your trusted neighborhood back yard mechanic put it in for you!

My 1999 volvo's defrost isn't putting out as much air as it used to, any sugestions. I'm getting a bald spot on my head from scratching it.

10

have you changed your filter? add new fluid, check your bearings, about 50, and some hard greasy work might be just what you need...

10

while taking transmission, what about a bad grinding noise over 40 mph?