how do I set the timing (won't start)

10

Asked by Mar 11, 2011 at 02:32 PM about the 1998 Chevrolet Tracker 2 Dr STD 4WD Convertible

I've been told that the timing is off .  We changed head and apparently the exhaust is opening just a little to soon and its backfiring. I get a small puff of smoke out of the air intake.  Dose this mean that I could be off one or more gears on the cam. If so what is the correct  steps to allen and time it.  1998  Chev tracker  1.6 16 valve motor with internal coil in distributor if that matters

3,615

It could be as simple as a bad timing belt. You will need a new timing set. I would recommend also replacing the timing cover and water pump gaskets while you are doing this. I don't have access to the instructions specific to your vehicle, I would recommend purchasing a Haynes or Chilton service manual. However, on most vehicles you will need to remove the water pump, then the timing cover, then adjust the belt tensioner so that you can remove the belt. BE SURE TO CHECK THE POSITION OF THE TIMING MARKS ON THE GEARS! Then, using a gear puller, remove the old timing gears. The new timing gears can be pressed onto the camshaft and crankshaft using a rubber mallet. Make sure the marks line up correctly, then put the new belt on and adjust the tensioner to allow the proper amount of flexing. Then put everything back together.

I'm fixing this myself I would like to know where the holes line up for the timing on my 1998 tracker 4+4