Brake light switch/no brake lights

Asked by Mar 05, 2012 at 01:41 AM about the 1991 Volkswagen Vanagon GL Camper Passenger Van

I have replaced brake light switch 3-4 times now.  Replacing with a worldpac oe style
seitches.  Aftermarket cruise on van.  I know when I lose
brake lights, as it effects my cruise too.  Replace switch and all good
for 3-4 months....   Ideas???  Can the cruise control be spiking the switch
or be a possible culprit???
Anyone with ideas?
Gene

885

yeah useally it is caused from washing the car the tail lights leans leaks water in to the bulb area and then blows the bulb

2,845

I know from experience that you have to fit the switch in a particular manor or you can damage the switch. Check out this helpful tip : http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?1158315-DIY-Installing-a-new-brake-light-switch-(without-breaking-it!)

10

The switch is located on the master cylinder and is pressure activated. There are two and three prong versions, and not all the switches perform equally. Air in brake lines and dirty fluid will impact performance. Note, the clutch slave shares the brake fluid. Changing the switch is not too hard, and requires a rag to catch fluid as it resides in the front dash behind the speedometer. Make sure you get a good quality replacement from with The Bus Depot or GoWesty, as these suppliers have experience with quality products. Not all aftermarket products are created equal. Visit www.vanagon.com for more user experience.