My VW Phaeton Boot will not open with the Key or the switch inside the Drivers Door, so how can I get into the boot as I have my golf clubs etc in it ?

Asked by Apr 25, 2016 at 07:47 AM about the 2005 Volkswagen Phaeton 4 Dr V8 Sedan

My VW Phaeton Boot will not open with either the Key or the switch inside the
Drivers Door, so how can I get into the boot as I have my golf clubs etc in it ?

Thanks
Elwyn

98,015

you need a auto locksmith to get it open for you...

8,855

well you can try opening the back seat they do flip down i believe. As for the lock try spraying some wd40 in it let it sit then try and coax it back and forth till it moves if this does not work then you likely have a broken lock.

Hi there Thanks for this advice - I have poured WD40 into the lock but not tried moving the rear seats as yet - are you sure that they can be moved ? thanks again

8,855

look behind the head rest there should be a latch with a key hole in it and yes all vw's have this from the 90's and up. after you have lubed up the key hole rock the key back and forth with not alot of force untill it budges. spray a little extra wd40 in the key hole as well before doing it. Other then that your only other option it to remove the inner trunk cover and unbolt the lock.

Hi Deathjam4 Thanks for coming back to me - much appreciated When you refer to a Head Rest, exactly which head rest are you referring to please ? Is this another key hole that's therefore hidden ? Big thanks once again Elwyn Evans 01492 544024

8,855

if there is no latch then i guess you have the one of very few cars that does not have a rear folding seat to access the trunk. I guess they did not think they needed it for a luxury modal car. any ways the car should have a sky boot hole in behind the folding arm rest. You may be able to access the emergency latch threw it with a pole or your arm. I read a few forums on the issue and im guessing you ave a power trunk... If you don't allow the trunk to do the work it self (AKA you pushed it shut yourself) it can damage the lock mechanism and the car will throw an error eventually and cause the car to say to itself "Wtf is going on ?" you may end up at the dealer having the latch replaced as the person at this forums board had to do. http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?3577809-04-Phaeton-Trunk-Issue-!

Hi Deathjam4 Ive been to the VW dealership and they said the next step was to remove the rear seats & try to access the fuse for the Trunk which they think might have gone Has every Phaeton got a manual Trunk release cable and where is it located please ? My question is: "how do you replace the lock mechanism is you cannot open the Trunk?" Thx Elwyn

8,855

usually they have to remove the inside of the trunk cover and then unlatch it or manually open it with a screw driver or such. the trunk release inside the trunk im not sure where it would be located but from pictures i've seen there seems to be a button on the lid close to the latch but i can't be certain since these cars aren't made in canada