When i engage the 4wd the indication light flashes on and off.

Asked by Jan 31, 2014 at 10:10 PM about the 1999 Chevrolet Tracker 4 Dr STD 4WD SUV

The indication light use to stay on all the time when 4 wheel drive was ingaged. Now it flashes on and off.

20,475

Change the vacuum hose on the front differential right at the bottom it will fix the flashing light on 4x4

755

Its usually the actuator. I will rebuild your actuator or sell you a rebuilt one 1/4 the price of new. But first lets determine if its the problem. troyobe88@gmail.com

65

Please Help. Anything at all would be helpful. I'm having the same problems with my 4x4 on my 89 Chevrolet Tracker, except My light on the dash of my tracker lights up perfect and dont blink or anything else. It stays lit all the time, but when it's in 4wheel only the back wheels will spin. The front will not engage. Every now and then it will engage, but stops almost instantly. It's a lever 4x4 H/L/N, not a push button with auto hubs, not locking hubs that you have to turn on the front wheels. Someone told me it's the actuator to engage the front 4x4, but I can't locate it. Can anyone tell me, send a pic or video, or something to locate it? Is there a way to test it? Is there a way to bypass it and lock it into 4wheel either all the time or only when I need it, without having to replace the actuator? If it's not the actuator, what else could it possibly be? It's on a 1989 Chevrolet Tracker 4x4 1.6L 4cyl 4door. Please can anyone help me. Email me @ johnpierce61@gmail.com Thank you in advance.

755

First to clarify my earlier post from actuatorfix then visit Johns question - It is usually the Actuator Pump, I can refurbish the Pump or I also sell Brand New and Refurbished pumps at website ActuatorPumpRepair.com Less common is the Actuator, I also sell "OEM' Actuators and, those aren't repairable. Attempting to Lock an Actuator open within the differential has a very high Failure rate and for good reason, it is labor intensive to do so and you still have to replace the hubs with manual. For all the effort and money, it is easier and cost effective to just do it right and return to convenience . To visit the question above from jpierce9801, John likely has a 1999 Tracker (not 89). It sounds like the ECM (Electronic Control Module - Brain) has placed the system into protective mode giving a green light all the time. Assuming the light isn't going off even in 2 WD also tells me the pump has multiple severe problems as It can not clear the ECM. If a pump runs for more than 10 seconds without achieving pressure, the ECM will override and discontinue, and give you a green light. The question then becomes, is it a failed pump or a failed actuator? I am thinking Johns pump isn't even coming on anymore. If your pump is causing the ECM to override, it is best to discontinue as you don't want to be messing with the Cars Brain. More info and testing instructions on ActuatorPumpRepair.com.

755

If instead, your light is flashing On and Off, it is most likely a failed pump. Squeeze the hose coming off the pump and going to the differential, if the light continues to blink the pump is bad. If light goes solid then likely the actuator within the differential beginning to fail. You can test the actuator with a foot pump to confirm. ActuatorPumpRepair.com for more on that.

02 ZR2 blazer…lost keys and to dismantle ignition, removed tumbler in ignition switch, and now stuck in 4lo and all three indicator are on…any solutions to fix?

I have a 1999 suzuki grand vitara when I put in in 4x4 none of my lights come on I've Chaged the transfer case and it does the same the 4x4 works great but I'm afraid that my wife might forget to take it out of fwd and I'm just trying to see if anyone else has had this problem thanks

755

This problem does appear exceptional if you i have 4wd after 10 seconds with no 4wd light. . First, are you sure your 4WD is working longer than 10 Seconds? Second, before and after 10 seconds put a test light to what would be the Pink Wire coming off the pump but do your test on the vehicle side of the plug. Do you have power?