coolant coming out of overflow tank

Asked by Jan 24, 2014 at 07:46 PM about the 1999 Chevrolet Tracker 4 Dr STD 4WD SUV

I recently bought a 99 chevy tracker. It looked fine when I bought it - BUT, it was taking a
long time to warm up. I checked the thermostat and found that the spring part was
removed so the coolant would flow freely-I wasn't happy. I replaced the thermostat. Now,
coolant is leaking out of the overflow tank. I thought it was air in the system-tried to bleed-
will try that again. any suggestions? thanks

19,675

If it is pushing it out you have air in the system or blown head gasket. Go to advance or autozone and buy an air bleed kit for the cooling system. This will get all the air out.

19,675

Not necessarily. It may just have a bad air lock in the system.

67,365

Is it overheating? -Jim

7,535

Also check the radiator cap. It might not be holding pressure. Should hold up to 16psi.

7,535

One more thing. Make sure you put the thermostat in, with the spring towards the engine, not towards the outlet/hose.

it did overheat a little tonight.

19,675

Air will do that the same as a head gasket.

is there a reason why someone would put a thermostat in that was missing all of the parts that make it work. looks like this guy was trying to pull a fast one.

19,675

It's possible.

thanks for all of the help everyone..... I appreciate it. I will try a new radiator cap and getting the air out. here is crossing my fingers.

19,675

Hope it fixes it.

me too. thanks again!!

7,535

Hopefully the T-stat didn't come apart, and the parts are still in your cooling system?

that is what I was worried about too. any suggestions on how I can get and get them out if there are parts on the cooling system. thanks

7,535

Pull the lower hose off the radiator, and check the bottom of the radiator. You can pull the water pump housing and pump. Check the impeller on the pump. If the impeller is damaged, you have a pretty good idea of why. With the housing off, there will be three open passages/holes. Check them for your missing parts. Especially the one large passage going into the block. Hopefully the junk didn't get too far.

thanks for the help

7,535

No problem. I have a correction to the above. The water pump housing only has the 1 large hole going into the block, and a coolant pipe connected to the back.

On the 2003 v-6 there are two small hoses that connect to the bottom of the radiator and go to the transmission to cool it. Mine was leaking where the rubber hose connected to the metal tubing at the back of the engine. The antifreeze was blowing out behind the engine while driving and never dripped on the carport.

Can anybody tell me why my radiator won't hold antifreeze when I fill it up and drive it come back home its empty again.