Intermitant Starting Problem

10

Asked by Jan 30, 2011 at 12:08 PM about the 1999 Volkswagen EuroVan 3 Dr MV Passenger Van

Drove to church, wouldn't start (no click, no nothing) for about 10 tries. Finally turned over and started/ran perfectly.

Is this due to a bad:

1. neutral relay ($25)
2. starter relay (solonoid) ($200+)
3. ignition switch ($9)

Thanks folks,

Matthew

245

Your VW is not religious! :D

10

Au contraire... I think it didn't want to leave!

solonoid switch,if your nss was bad it would not start at all (#1)

10

Thanks Papa... Are we sure it's not the Ignition Switch? Apparently, these Eurovan's do have an issue with them. However, I don't think it was a 'wiggle the key' kind of start when it did finally turn-over (fairly indicative of a bad Ig.Sw.). It only has happened after driving somewhere, not when cold. Is this indicative of a bad solonoid- operating worse under higher temps? Thanks for your thoughts.

10

Also, I'm reading that failing solonoids are diagnosed by a rapid clicking and not that they just don't work at all and then work all of a sudden. Is this your experience also with starter solonoids? Thanks!

when you turn the key switch on,does the dash lights come on,if so no on key switch.

10

No.. no dash lights when I engage the key. Literally nothing happens, no sounds, nothing. Does this mean YES on the key switch? Thanks a lot Papa!

20

tron37@gamil.com I have a 2003 Volkswagen Eurovan GLS 7 seater, It used to start and then after a bit I found unplugging the battery worked, but now it won't start at all. All the lights come on it rolls over, but it just won't start, I tried propane adding to the air filter, and I was going to try ether but I have none. 1. neutral relay ($25) where is this located 2. starter relay (solenoid) ($200+) Is this the 175 Relay hidden behind the heater switches..or where..? 3. ignition switch ($9)

the 2003 has an intermittent demon inside of it that patiently waits for you to diagnose, fix, & pay for a problem b4 continuing to wreak havoc w a new indiscernible problem of its own choice. U can't ever fix it, only pass it along to someone else, like a curse, letting it die of natural causes. "Living w the light" will give you anxiety related health problems, they're just bad. I know now i have to let go of caring for 2000, for my sanity, for my health. Godbless, drivesafe.