Intermitant Starting Problem

Asked by Jan 30, 2011 at 12:08 PM about the 1999 Volkswagen EuroVan 3 Dr MV Passenger Van

Drove to church, wouldn't start (no click, no nothing) for about 10 tries. Finally turned over and started/ran perfectly.

Is this due to a bad:

1. neutral relay ($25)
2. starter relay (solonoid) ($200+)
3. ignition switch ($9)

Thanks folks,

Your VW is not religious! :D

Au contraire... I think it didn't want to leave!

solonoid switch,if your nss was bad it would not start at all (#1)

Thanks Papa... Are we sure it's not the Ignition Switch? Apparently, these Eurovan's do have an issue with them. However, I don't think it was a 'wiggle the key' kind of start when it did finally turn-over (fairly indicative of a bad Ig.Sw.). It only has happened after driving somewhere, not when cold. Is this indicative of a bad solonoid- operating worse under higher temps? Thanks for your thoughts.

Also, I'm reading that failing solonoids are diagnosed by a rapid clicking and not that they just don't work at all and then work all of a sudden. Is this your experience also with starter solonoids? Thanks!

when you turn the key switch on,does the dash lights come on,if so no on key switch.

No.. no dash lights when I engage the key. Literally nothing happens, no sounds, nothing. Does this mean YES on the key switch? Thanks a lot Papa!

30 I have a 2003 Volkswagen Eurovan GLS 7 seater, It used to start and then after a bit I found unplugging the battery worked, but now it won't start at all. All the lights come on it rolls over, but it just won't start, I tried propane adding to the air filter, and I was going to try ether but I have none. 1. neutral relay ($25) where is this located 2. starter relay (solenoid) ($200+) Is this the 175 Relay hidden behind the heater switches..or where..? 3. ignition switch ($9)

the 2003 has an intermittent demon inside of it that patiently waits for you to diagnose, fix, & pay for a problem b4 continuing to wreak havoc w a new indiscernible problem of its own choice. U can't ever fix it, only pass it along to someone else, like a curse, letting it die of natural causes. "Living w the light" will give you anxiety related health problems, they're just bad. I know now i have to let go of caring for 2000, for my sanity, for my health. Godbless, drivesafe.