Do you need to do some type of reset when you replace the battery on a 2002 VW Cabrio?

10

Asked by Mar 06, 2014 at 09:50 PM about the 2002 Volkswagen Cabrio 2 Dr GLX Convertible

We replaced the battery on my daughter's 2002 VW Cabrio and now she gets "locked" in
her car or can't get into it at all.  The key will not work to open the doors when the car
does this.  She had to crawl out of the window to get out of her car the other day.

2,735

The key won't work remotely or won't work at all? It seem the key lock is not working properly but that doesn't necessarily has anything to do with the battery. you will need to check if the other doors work correctly. You can also read the codes from the comfort unit to have a better idea of the problem. post update to keep helping you out.

10

We don't have a remote. It may be easier to explain what happened to give you a better idea of what is going on. Sometimes one or both doors will not open - even when they are unlocked. We wait awhile go back and check and the door(s) will open. The last time it happened we drove to the store, my daughter went to get out of the car and the door wouldn't open (did not lock it when we got in). The passenger door was fine. Drove home and waited an hour or so, went and check the door and it opened. Someone told us it was because the battery was low (and we replaced it) and we need to reset, but no one can tell us how.

2,735

it is better if you take it to someone with the proper equipment to read the codes from the comfort unit. if there is a problem with one of the locks it should trip a code. But what it seems to me, is that you have a mechanical issue with the door locks. This is not related to the battery. one thing you could do to test and see if it really is a mechanical lock issue is this... when the door won't open just push the door in or give it a like a little punch just on top of the handle. if the door opens after this it is the door lock that has issues, if not you will need to keep on checking. if this is your problem it is common mostly when the mechanical part gets dirty or needs oil but sometimes you need to replace the lock mechanism. keep me updated if you need any more help.